We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Big money saving with Domestic and General

I had a multi item (cooker, dishwasher, hob and washing machine) insurance policy with Domestic and General. Looking at it before renewal I saw the annual cost was going to be £708 !

I rang to cancel and was immediately offered the same policy for £229 a year, a £479 saving!!

Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.

Comments

  • what was it the last time?

    I raely accept a renwel price, always call, 99% it works

    However, today, I rang Saga several weeks ago about car ins renweal, the chap said, "our prices are set." IE like for like - I was a tad surprised - I shppoed around and got another likle for like deal with a good ins company, for about 70 quid less, so paid 730

  • middlewife
    middlewife Posts: 309 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    We no longer insure with d&g, but got extremely lucky when our washing machine packed up 3 days before renewal. They couldn't match the spec, so gave us a free upgrade. I cancelled the policy and we now save the premium instead. Always refuse renewal prices with insurers and take out new policies. Loyalty doesn't pay, well done on price though.....

  • Organgrinder
    Organgrinder Posts: 1,113 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I never buy insurance policies for household goods. I think over the years they aren't worth the money.

    But on the subject of renewals I always shop around. This year Churchill upped my renewal to over £450 on my car. I used Topcashback in the end, got my renewal for £312 plus £44 cashback. Churchill wouldn't go below £350 from memory. As an added bonus I now get breakdown cover too.

  • otb666
    otb666 Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    We had a policy with them 16 years ago and they still ring us constantly trying to get us to sign up again

    21k savings no debt
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,636 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    A few of these companies seem to have adopted a policy of 'no negotiation' in recent times. They must have decided to try it out as a strategy. I think LV= is one of them, although to be fair usually ( not always) they are quite competitive, and their website/systems and customer service are good in my experience.

  • jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 25 September at 5:48PM

    Put your money in a savings account instead. You’ll be much better off over the long term. The only time I bought one of these policies was when my shower failed and they said I could take out an annual policy that would cover the shower repair for less than the fee to repair the shower. It was clearly trying to hook me in. I cancelled after a year when, of course, the premium went up.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.