We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Tax rebate - anomally?
Hello, I wonder if you can provide any advice - i plan on contacting HMRC in next few days.
I worked until 31/03 at company no 1 - this last payment was paid 15 April.
I started new role start of June and left last month.
I planned on applying for tax tebate - however:
On my PAYE account on HMRC it only shows employer 2. My understanding was any rebate should take into account employer 1 where my last payment was on 15/04.
Its substantial due to them paying my notice period and I believe is about £5.5k.
Am i correct in thinking laat payment for company 1 should be in this year as was paid15/04? If so, whats the best way to resolve?
I am no longer working so cannot wait till next tax year.
Thank you.
Comments
-
Does the payment from employer 1 show in the 25/26 tax year on your tax account?
You 'believe' it's £5.5k? Weren't you provided witha P45 and/or payslip?
0 -
Yes i hsve the payslip, p45 and p60.
I suspect as i left on 31/03 - yet my understanding is the last payment, as it was on 15/04 should be applied to 26/27 tax year?
0 -
If you have a P60 from Employer 1, that would suggest you were employed by them at the end of the tax year.
What date is on the P45 ?
1 -
The date of signature from employer 1 is 21/04/26 with accurate leaving date of employment of 31/03/26?
0 -
I am fairly confident employer 1 and 2 should be included in my assessment (let me know if you think not), but how can i most quickly resolve please? The difference is significant due to current position. Thanks
0 -
Was the final payslip from employer 1 dated March and the tax paid in 2025-26?
0 -
Thanks for coming back. It was dated 15 april for period 1-31st march?
0 -
PAYE goes by when you are paid, so you are correct that this should be included in your 26/27 tax year.
0 -
Whats the easiest way to.resolve please?
I thought the p45 for job 2 woukd include pay for both jobs?
I also thought my HNRC PAYE online access shoukd show both jobs for 26/27?
0 -
You should have a P60 from employer 1 that shows your income for the year to 5 April 2026. You should also have a P45 from employer 1 that shows the payment received after 5 April 2026.
Sometimes employer 2 will start you on an emergency tax code and not take account of your previous earnings in the same year. Usually it corrects itself within a month or 2. Given that it’s a noticeable amount, can you work out whether it has been included or not?
My first query would be if employer 1 has given you a P45 and has correctly informed hmrc of your income in April.
I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

