We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Removing a huge hedge
Comments
-
As others have said, laurel is a difficult one to deal with because it spreads at root level. I've had laurel, beech and yew hedges and the laurel is by far the worst to keep under control.
One other thing you might consider - if the hedge is any significant length, it might be worth taking down in stages, to reduce the loss of privacy - though of course that would have to be done over a relatively long period.
Yew is definitely worth considering as an alternative - provided you start with plants of a decent size (which means buying from a hedging company and not a garden centre!) you can get a reasonable coverage in 4-5 years, provided it's not shaded by other trees.
0 -
We have a privet hedge in our back garden that is about 10 feet high and 5 feet wide ( half on the neighbours side). I used to cut it myself, but after too many close calls/wobbles on a ladder, I decide to pay someone.
However if I ask a registered professional company to do that and other general trimming around the garden, they are either not interested, very expensive and/or can not book you in for 3 months. So I have to rely on the cash in hand types who just knock on the door ' as we are working just up the road' and hope for the best.
Probably long term I will book a regular one man band gardener to come every couple of months - if I can find one.
0 -
Laurel will grow back happily if reduced to 25cm stumps, or even lower. Might take 5 years to get to 1.5metres if you are lucky, and you prune the longer growths each year to encourage branching . It looks a lot better done manually rather than with a hedge trimmer.
I'd start by taking everything back to 1.8 metres and checking for privacy. Reduce the width as well. Then remove the largest trunks to the floor.
Let it grow next summer and reconsider. You could then get a gardener to trim it, or over several months work along it cutting all the new growth back hard. Unless there's somewhere you want it taller for privacy, when I'd cut back new growth to 30cm. Do
If you've have not made a mistake, you've made nothing1 -
If you are considering reducing the height/size of this hedge it should preferably be done in autumn/winter to avoid disturbing nesting birds.
0 -
Just a warning but if you are going to transport freshly cut Cherry or Portuguese Laurel to the tip in your car (especially if it's a hatchback, estate or SUV so boot is open to rest of car) the cut or bruised leaves can release hydrocyanic acid (cyanide gas) which can cause drowsiness or dizziness, and potentially death although that would be with an extreme concentration, so not good when you're driving. So either leave them on the ground for a few days first or ensure the windows in the car are open to get some ventilation. Surprised me when I found about this as I'd been cutting our Portuguese Laurels and transporting the cuttings to the tip for several years, but luckily they had always laid around on the lawn for a couple of days or so before loading into the car.
3 -
If having problems finding someone to do this work for you it may be worthwhile approaching your Local British Legion or USI club and ask if they would put your details on their noticboard.
You might find someone who is still fit enough and has the time to carry out the work for you.
Play with the expectation of winning not the fear of failure. S.Clarke0 -
Actually Sapindus has a point. I had a 6ft hedge on a corner plot and after several intrusions and a burglary the police advised it's better if the garden and house was visible to public and police.
I cut it right down to about 3-4ft and no more problems.
Net curtains, blinds etc can make the house private, rearrangement of garden furniture and it was pretty private. Being a corner I fenced off the back to make it secure
I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!
viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on
The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

