We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Data Tracing Error

amoladakasth
amoladakasth Posts: 14 Forumite
Sixth Anniversary First Post
edited 22 September at 8:24PM in Credit file & ratings

I have received a "Notice of Enforcement" from Excel for a person of a similar name to myself.

The notice relates to council tax on a property that I have had no association with since 2010. (when I separated) NB. it belonged to my ex-wife, who purchased it in 1996, and sold it c.2016.

The Council Tax liability order on the unrelated property is for April 2025-March 2026, c.£3k.

Public records show that this property was sold in July 2025, and again in June 2026, I don't know to whom, and I would assume that they are liable for the council tax, or proportion thereof.

I have lived at my entirely geographically separate (same local authority) residence since October 2021, and I have council tax payment receipts and entry onto the Electoral Register as proof.

I have seen and heard Martin Lewis complaining about the unfairness of Council's seeking libility orders, and I'm now experiencing it.

I'll be greatful for forumites advice, before I respond to Excel/Local Authority etc. Should I also be contacting Credit Reference Agencies?

Ta,

Andrew.

Comments

  • Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

  • DiamondLil
    DiamondLil Posts: 806 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I think you've posted this in the wrong forum; you'll get more help here:

    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/other-reclaiming-mortgage-fees-council-tax-etc

  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 32,949 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    I suggest you write a letter, stating the above, and pass it to the bailiff when they attend your property.

    Do not allow the bailiff into your home, pass the letter through a window or leave it outside for them, under no circumstance allow them inside.

    You are not the debtor, so its not your problem, but you must protect yourself here.

    Liability orders are granted by a magistrate on application from the council, it will not leave any mark on your credit file.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.