We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
How do you keep track of small monthly expenses?
Comments
-
Best to look at it in a different way , spending is spending and record each amount regardless of the amount.
Being old school I use various spreadsheets to record eveything.
How you decide to allocate funds between categories is up to you, but knowing where you money is going is a useful life skill that can let you make informed decisions. How someone decides to spend their money is up to them , but it should be an informed choice.(I wish my younger self had realised this!!)
I dont tend to drink coffee , but for tea I use a Thermos flask that you can drink straight from which is either in a side pocket of a small backpack or attached to my belt via a holder from ali express. I normally have a small refillable bottle of water with me using the same methods, as I go out walking somewhere everyday that will have saved me a fortune over the years.
2 -
Me too - I don't carry cash - but when I have to force myself to look at it I know I have been a little excessive on the "me" treats.
Just bit the bullet and checked and its a whopping £800 with a week of September to go!! Supermarket shopping is really adding up and I've filled my tank with fuel twice this month, despite barely driving. There are lots of transactions that sneak in just under the £10 mark, and over £100 was spent on alcohol. This thread is inspiring me (momentarily) to cut back.
No man is worth crawling on this earth.
So much to read, so little time.0 -
Separate account that I pay a set amount into each month which is basically going out money and for those frivolous small spends which get forgotten but can add up.
1 -
Our spending accounts are with Starling which has a handy spending tracker which adds up all spending. I categorise them so I can see at a glance if one category is getting out of control. The only issue is that it is difficult to do that with cash and I like to use that now and again. So I have a cash miscellaneous category which mainly goes on discretionary spending (non essential) so coffees, takeaways, the odd book or cosmetics. As long as I don't go over £100 a month on that I am fine with it.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Save £12k in 2026 Challenge £12000/£10,000
365 day 1p Challenge 2026 £667.95/£600.31
Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php0 -
Every penny gets tracked on a spreadsheet and spending allocated across categories e.g. food & drinks, eating out, health (gym, dentist etc). Have separate worksheets for holidays and home & car expenses (insurances, council tax & repairs). Been doing this for 3 years now to track expenses to help with retirement planning.
I also try and use a credit card for most things. It makes tracking easier and also gives me cash back (win win). The bill gets cleared every month.
0 -
Hi all - we've removed a few posts. If you think any post on the Forum may break our rules, please use the 'report' button to flag it to us, rather than taking the thread off-topic by discussing your concern publicly.
Regardless of the provenance of the OP, there have been some worthwhile replies in this thread.
Official MSE Forum Team member. Please use the 'report' button to alert us to problem posts, or email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com2 -
The more I think about the question the more difficult it is to answer. If the question refers to incidental expenses then I don't really have many, if any. I don't buy.... coffees, books, make up & take aways are very rare. Most things (travel, shopping, restaurants, hotels etc) are paid with a credit or debit card so I don't consider them to be incidental. Even magazines & newspapers have the bill settled every 4-6 weeks. Food is always ordered online and paid by card. I usually have £50 in my wallet that lasts me forever, can't remember the last time I withdrew cash from the cashpoint.
My wife deals with birthdays, gifts, cards, social events etc and and just gives me a bill every 3 months or so and I transfer what she's spent into her bank.
Seems like everyone has a different opinion of what a small expense is !
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


