We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Voluntary Redundancy and anxiety

sunshineandhappydays
sunshineandhappydays Posts: 3 Newbie
First Post
edited 22 September at 2:56PM in Redundancy & redundancy planning

Afternoon! Hope everyone is good. I just feel terrible mentally as going through the consultation redundancy process until next month. I'm going to express an interest in voluntary redundancy (only 2 of us so should be an easy one!) . I will cite work related stress absences, disability, the new job role/description which has increased etc. My understanding is that the employer will still try and put forward alternatives even if you mention genuine declared disability/health. I believe there's a test of what is suitable and reasonable and you have to argue against it. It's a horrible situation.

I will make the email v clear it is not a notice/leaving. I keep getting anxious it will be twisted as such and they'd do anything not to pay out. We have redundancies across the business and it's horribly tense. I spoke to ACAS and they mentioned settlement agreements as a back up and it seems like so much stress. I hope employer just goes with voluntary redundancy to make everyone's life easier. It's awful waiting to get out.

Does anyone have experience of voluntary redundancy and how you cope? I don't even know how you then negotiate a lump sum? I saw that it's just statutory redundancy in the contract. Thanks for reading

Comments

  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 3,241 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 22 September at 4:09PM

    Has voluntary redundancy been offered?

    What is the firms redundancy process?

    Do they offer more than the statutory minimum for payment? EDIT - sorry seen that they offer the minimum. There may be no option to negotiate any more than that.

    You don't need to give the company all the reasons, if voluntary redundancy is offered then you just put yourself forward to be considered for it.

    Things that are different: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid


  • Thanks oldernonethewiser for replying! Yes, we can express an interest in it.

    From what ACAS were saying, employer could refuse it and say I wasn't taking up suitable alternative work. I would therefore need to demonstrate the extra duties/impact on my health etc so they couldn't argue I purposely turned it down. It would be a waste of time us going through the interview process when I don't want it. Some have just said to mess up the interview but that seems more complicated.

  • In order to minimise redundancies available alternative positions can be offered. If they are not practical, for you to accept, then that becomes another discussion.

    At the moment I'd volunteer and see what happens after that.

    Things that are different: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid


  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 4,402 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    you do not need to give a reason why you have put your no forward. They can refuse but thats only likely if there is no one else to do your job and they consider it essential.

    I took voluntary redundancy and it was very stressful but i did manage to negotiate all my leave for the year to be paid.

    2026 wins - Parker Pen American Sweets bundle 2x dish magic bundle NEU shots & a NEU training T-shirt ToeZone Shoes Worth £32

  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 19,696 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Unless management want you out, there is no need for them to agree to VR. If your job has become redundant then they should offer you statutory redundancy.

    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,302 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    When my work offered voluntary redundancies the terms were detailed upfront.

    Those interested submitted their names.

    They either were accepted or not.


    No explanations, no interviews etc.

  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 13,223 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 25 September at 6:23PM

    You would usually expect voluntary redundancy to offer better than statutory payment because it saves the employer have to jump through the hoops of running a redundancy process but instead can sea "here's a wodge of cash, now clear your desk"

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.