We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Antivirus/firewall etc.

PunkRoquefort
PunkRoquefort Posts: 150 Forumite
Third Anniversary 10 Posts
edited 22 September at 1:32PM in Techie Stuff

I know I asked a similar question in the Broadband forum, but I have expanded on it here as I am still a bit confused.

Sorry, a bit long!

I know most forumites highly rate the built-in Windows Security for Windows 11, with Malwarebytes Free added as a second tool. I also know that different companies antivirus approaches things differently and may protect things other companies may not do and have different tools.

AV Test and similar sites show their frequent test results of different antiviruses.

I have just joined Plusnet, having moved from EE. I have installed Plusnet's Norton Protect, just as I had EE's Norton.

Although the advisor I chatted with at Plusnet said that their Protect is a slightly cut back version of Norton 360, I think it is only a couple of minimal tweaks.

I know AVG, Avira, Avast, Kaspersky, Bitdefender and other big names have free versions and the antivirus element is the same, whether you pay for a particular antivirus or use the free version. It is the extras, such as anti-phishing, anti-key logging, webcam guard, VPN and protection of ransomware which may be missing or need to be paid for. Some are free, yes.

I recently read in Which? Magazine, if it is still a reliable source, that the main antivirus database in an antivirus is designed to/should catch all forms of dodginess/malware/viruses first time and the extra things such as anti-phishing, anti-key logging tools et al act as a secondary defence. Basically saying if the antivirus is doing its job properly, such add-ons are not necessarily required. It recommended Bitdefender Free as the best buy, Bidefender paid for as the second choice, due to it being fiddly to uninstall, then just behind that was Windows Security, based on its decent results and simplicity.

As it is free for me during my contract, am I best sticking with my Plusnet Norton protect for my laptop and Android phone? After my free period, a renewal through a computer magazine I read, Norton 360 is on their website for just a tenner.

Do you just stick with the freebies or do you pay?

Which ones do you use for Windows and Android?

Thank you.

Comments

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,412 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    If you want to install some free legitimate AV packages on your laptop/Android because it makes you feel more secure then install away.

    You might notice a performance hit but probably not much.

    The advice you've already been given that it's not necessary for ordinary, everyday online use has obviously not stuck.

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,096 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Same as your previous thread on the same topic - windows antivirus is fine for everyday use.

  • Vitor
    Vitor Posts: 1,685 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    On a fully patched Windows 11 PC, leave Windows Security enabled and stop worrying about buying antivirus. Keep your browser updated, use a password manager and don't routinely run as administrator. Malwarebytes Free is useful if you occasionally want a second-opinion scan. On Android, keep Play Protect enabled and install apps from reputable sources

  • Krakkkers
    Krakkkers Posts: 1,365 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    Don;t bother with an antivirus they are more trouble than they are worth, i just use a vpn and adblockers

  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,414 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    As above, antivirus software was important 10-20 years ago but these days I wouldn't worry about it. As long as your Windows system is fully patched and you aren't doing anything too dodgy then it's not really an issue any more.

  • I have reinstalled Malwarebytes Free and am using Windows Security.

    Thank you for the advice.

  • sheenas
    sheenas Posts: 566 Forumite
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    For basic user is mostly like fine with the freeware available.

    I use my system for business and there spend money on eset. I would never risk customer systems without a top grade anti virus. Passing ransom ware to customer would be disastrous.

    The downside of eset. Is you need to be tec savvy.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.