We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Next sale

Hi I went to the next sale last Saturday and when I got home I realised I had been undercharged by twenty pounds. What should I do ?

Comments

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,074 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    Honesty would go back, but are you sure that they had not put reduced price on items?

    Life in the slow lane
  • dnpark38
    dnpark38 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper

    Go back and ask them to explain your bill.

  • Go back and double check and tell them that you own them 20 quid, and sleep better at night.

    Something close like that happend to me, I went back thinking they undercharged me 30 quid for my polo shirt but their machine confirmed price had been reduced but you could only tell at the till - a mistake by store staff to update the price on the actual items. It was a wasted trip other than me doing the right thing

  • dnpark38
    dnpark38 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper

    I was undercharged and went back and the particular store could not let me pay as they had no system to let me pay.

    They had a system to refund overpayments :-)

  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 4,386 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    that's good, you will feel better for having told them but gain anyway ♥️

    2026 wins - Parker Pen American Sweets bundle 2x dish magic bundle NEU shots & a NEU training T-shirt ToeZone Shoes Worth £32

  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,736 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 22 September at 1:16PM

    This regularly happens to me at Primark, (yes, I'm that cheap!)

    Last time I pointed it out the manager explained that to avoid overcharging, when prices are being reduced, they get cut on the computer system first, but the items and shelving changes may take a while to catch up.

    I do understand it; after all, a good company under-promises and over-delivers.

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,207 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    It happens to me fairly regularly in restaurants for some reason, I point it out each time and 90% of the time they thank me and say whatever was missed is "on them". Sometimes when its been a more material mistake they have added the item on at a reduced price.

    Only once did I get charged the full amount and she not only didnt thank me but made it seem it was such an inconvenience for her to correct it… would have happily paid the £22.50 for what should have been a £225.00 bill if she wanted to avoid correcting but the till would have been down (the receipt was correct, she had miskeyed the amount to charge in the card machine)

  • Gonk1967
    Gonk1967 Posts: 108 Forumite
    10 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    It's their mistake. If you feel that bad about it, donate the £20 to a charity. It's not like Next would go bust over it.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.