We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Zopa banking problems

Been using Zopa (amongst many others, thanks Martin!) mainly because of their savings rates and was on the point of moving my main banking to them - moving to a new phone has broken notifications on my Chase app which is proving a real pain.

Currently my pension arrives at Chase, I immediately move it to the Zopa savings account and then feed back the amounts required for upcoming payments from Chase.

My pension arrived last night (well 1am this morning, I was watching the NFL) so I sent most of it to Zopa, then used the Zopa app to move the money into the savings account. Minutes later I realised that my energy bill was due the next day so I went back to the Zopa app to move money from savings to current and thence to Chase.

Hit the button to do the internal transfer and just got an error message along the lines of "payment failed due to a technical issue at our end, please try again" - REALLY?! So I did try again, many times, same failure. To make it worse, after a couple of tries I was sure that the amount involved was now missing from either account. Complete panic - there goes my credit rating if that bill isn't paid tomorrow.

That's when I discovered that, unlike Chase, Zopa only offer technical support during office hours. A sleepless night racked with worry was only avoided by the thought that I could pull some funds from my ISA if needed to cover the shortfall.

Woke this morning to find that the funds had now magically appeared in my Zopa current account, so thought that I ought to try and find out what was going on. Don't think I mentioned that this was about the third time something similar has happened over the previous months.

So it's into chat we go (I would so much prefer an email exchange at my convenience) to be told that the failure was because the app was "under construction" at that point and everything was now fine. Well, not fine at all as far as I'm concerned. If that is the case, announce an outage, lock your systems down and then do the upgrade. Suddenly finding that you can't access any of your money and that there is no technical support available is a very unpleasant feeling.

I will be moving my funds out of Zopa as a matter of urgency.

Comments

  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 4,253 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    If you throw your toys out of the Zopa pram you are just as likely to find another bank that does its maintenance in the wee small hours and replicates the unusual issue you've just had.

  • DrPaul
    DrPaul Posts: 55 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 21 September at 5:59PM

    My issue is that it just threw an error. Never seen an actual failure like that with any other banking, and I've had accounts with pretty much all of them.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,463 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Systems throw errors all the time. When the error is reported what the customer sees is often very different to what is reported on internal system logs - often the customer will see nothing at all, a simple internal retry will sort the issue.

    Just seems Zopa have been rather loose with their programming, instead of you seeing a nice calm "We seem to be having some issues - please try later" you've got something a bit more alarming.

    Amazed that a user of many bank's online systems hasn't seen an error message a lot more full-on "it's totally FUBARed" than your rather mild example.

  • dcs34
    dcs34 Posts: 914 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    Does logging in to see other people's account information count as a 'mild, calm error message', or 'something a bit more alarming'? 😉

    Note this has happened to customers of TSB, Lloyds, Halifax, Bank of Scotland amongst others…but they're still in business.

    Doing your banking at 2am is likely to throw up edge cases as this is when most banks process most of their daily actions. If you end up missing the payment and getting a charge/penalty etc then make a formal complaint to Zopa/FOS.

  • ZeroSum
    ZeroSum Posts: 1,317 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Dont go to virgin then, as theyre down most of the time after midnight.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.