We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Should I tidy up/close credit cards?
I know this is a regular point of discussion online but hoping for some guidance on what best to do.
I have 5 cards.
1 - £6k limit, minimal spend, clear it every month, opened 5+ years ago
2 - £6k, regular household spend, clear it every month, opened 5+ years ago
3 - £25k, no balance, this was until recently a 0% deal that I had filled up over the 24 month promo period.
4 - £25k, primarily a transfer from No. 3, paying minimums, this is 0% until next summer.
5 - £7k, about £4k balance, recently taken out 0% 24 months for some known large household purchases and probably regular spend to maximise balance during the term.
1 and 2 are old cards, opened/used for a specific purpose of personal and household spend splits with wife and I don't intend to get rid of these.
4 I have until next summer and will decide whether to transfer again or pay off.
5 will pay off or transfer in 2028.
3 is my big question mark. This card has served its purpose and I will not use it again. Am I safe to close this? Alternatively, would it be better for me to request a reduction in the credit limit but keep the account open?
For context, I have recently moved house and have no major planned credit applications in the near future. I use credit cards for convenience and 0% periods so would like the flexibility to take out additional cards in future in case I have a big spend planned or want to put regular spending into suspension and earn interest on that money instead.
Conscious that having both 3 and 4 open means I have a lot of credit available to me (bad, if looking for more?) and that it makes my utilisation look lower as 3 balances out 4 (good, in credit score terms?).
I would rather not have card 3, and I don't mind a blip in my credit score, what would you recommend?
Comments
-
if you know this is a regular discussion point, why are you concerned about your credit score; this is also discussed in the same threads.
0 -
As you rightly think having too much credit may make getting your next 0% deal - even with a card you already have.
Your credit history won't suffer as you are managing everything nicely so, yes, close 3.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK
"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.” Nellie McClung
⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅1 -
Agree with @Brie, do what you've essentially already decided to do and close card 3.
1 -
The only reason I'd close a card is if it means I can reapply for one with that company in a couple of years. There are several banks I can now use again thanks to closing the cards previously.
Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.0 -
I would look to combine credit limits (from the same issuer) and possibly a product change to a better card e.g. cashback/ points/forex free.
Card issuers can't see the reason for a credit reduction (when not issued in-house) so it's generally better to consolidate your credit over a smaller number of card than more cards with lower average limits.
e.g. don't reduce an unwanted 10k card to 2k - just close the whole account down.
0 -
The admin ends up being a PITA for multiple cards. My rule now is that if I have a card it is for a specific reason. Anything that runs off the end the deal I wanted it for gets closed. You sometimes get retention offers, Amex in particular, and I'm not above doing the offer quickly and then closing the card.
Reasons for holding a card include having a reliably large credit limit for big purchases, fee free forex at interbank rates, stoozing and interest free purchases, cashback, card benefits (mostly related to travel for me).
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


