We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Samsung Galaxy not blocking calls

I don't know what's going on but at the moment I'm getting a run of unknown numbers phoning me. Mostly mobile.

Some flag as potential spam, others don't. I just ignore the lot.

It was getting to be daily so I went in to settings > block numbers > and checked "block calls from unknown numbers".

Thurs & Fri passed by without a call. Finally. Today I just got another Suspected Spam mobile number calling me. How when I don't know it & it should be blocked?

SG 24+.

I very rarely give my number out. Only when I have to - banks, ordering things etc.

🤐🤐🤐

Comments

  • I've had a call nearly every day since last Friday from different UK numbers. Some criminal group seems to have found a way to spoof UK phone numbers well enough that they're not being flagged as spam.

  • Isthisforreal99
    Isthisforreal99 Posts: 1,483 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 19 September at 7:10PM

    'Unknown' means if number witheld in this context so if it's showing an actual number it's not 'unknown'

  • Vitor
    Vitor Posts: 1,686 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    If your S24+ has One UI 8.5 or later, there’s also a proper call-screening feature which is probably closer to what you want.

    Open:

    Phone app > three dots > Settings > Call screening

    Turn it on, and you can also enable automatic screening for unknown or suspected spam/scam calls.

    When it screens a call, the phone answers on your behalf, asks the caller who they are and why they’re calling, and shows you a live transcript. You can then decide whether to answer, send a response or ignore it.

    For a manual screen when the phone rings, tap Call assist > Call screening.

  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    My understanding of unknown was numbers that I don't know. As in numbers that aren't in my phonebook.

    Seems like turning that on will make zero difference then & the 2 days break were coincidental.

    I'll take a look at this. Thanks.

    🤐🤐🤐

  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,801 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I'm getting a lot of calls from unknown mobiles that my phone are flagging as potential spam. I managed to actually answer one to hear a recording about "we have a job offer for you. just add our number to your whatsapp" (which of course I ignored) Apparently this is quite common currently.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    Yep I've had that one also.

    I wonder if you can add these mobile numbers to a spam list so that THEY get spammed.

    🤐🤐🤐

  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    Just had a look at that - call screening was turned on but auto screen calls was turned off.

    I've turned it on. Had another call today. Out of 7 days of the week I'd say I'm getting 5 calls.

    So let's see how we go tomorrow.

    🤐🤐🤐

  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    Funnily I've had zero calls this week.

    I wondered if it was auto screening so got my wife to test it out. Nope, I have to manually select 'auto' screen it seems. As in when I get a call I need to press to select it to be screened, it then answers the call on their end as though they're to my voicemail kind of thing but reads the text through on my phone.

    Not very auto but better than nothing.

    I should have a look to see if you can set a custom message to be played for these spammers.

    🤐🤐🤐

  • Rich1976
    Rich1976 Posts: 737 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I have been getting quite a lot supposedly from the Indeed online recruitment site , a few months back they claimed to be from O2

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.