We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
ACI debt collection obo EE chasing an account that wasn't mine!
I received an email from ACI at the end of July 2026 chasing a debt £546.62. Apparently from a failed direct debit from 2023. Which has subsequently mounted up, I assume
I contacted ACI and the address it related to was not mine and I have never had a mobile account with EE. However, they did have my btinternet.com email address and my name.
I was told they would investigate and over the weeks I received a couple of emails to say they were still investigating, the last of which was on the 8th September. Two days ago I received a missed call and when I rang back it was ACI. I spoke to someone briefly who said it must have been a mistake. Then again they called yesterday and a more detailed conversation followed.
Their representative gave me an address the account related to, which I have never heard of, a mobile phone number that was used, which was not mine and the last 4 digits of a bank account, again not mine. She also told me the investigation had been completed and EE were holding me responsible for payment, based on the email address I have used from BT and my name being on the account, I am guessing? Though this email has been used for over 20 years and I know it's not secure. Hence I recently opted to change to Proton for my emails, though keep the old BT email address as, so many contacts I have had over the years still use it.
It's not the first time I have been the victim of identity theft, it seems to happen more frequently. Only a few months ago my bank account with Nationwide and the BT email were hacked, leading to considerable stress & anxiety. Being an ex company director I am aware much of my information can be found on companies house. Though in April of this year, I have had to take early retirement due to disability and sold the company.
The ACI rep said I will have now receive a Fraud letter by email, which will request further information and she wanted a screen shot of my bank account from 2023 showing that no debit was taken from my account on the date that matches theirs!
I will await the email and respond accordingly, however, I am surprised that EE are trying to hold me responsible. I can't think they have the grounds for it and I am certainly not going to send any company screen shots of old bank statements, unless legally I have no option.
Part of me does wonder, that given BT own EE and I cancelled my BT broadband account and switched to SKY just before I received the email from ACI. (I left BT because of the cost and the mountain of spam I was receiving) that this seems just a little too coincidental.
I am pondering on making an official complaint to both ACI and EE, before I receive further correspondence from ACI or is someone able to make a suggestion of the best way to proceed. Also, will this impact my 97% Experian credit rating?
Comments
-
So all the information that you have on this has been given to you by a debt collection agency, and this started with an out-of-the blue email, which you responded to?
I think you are being scammed.
Now they have written, send them a prove-it letter from the sticky threads on debt-free wannabe. I would not be giving them any more of your personal data
0 -
I checked the email address and the phone number against their website and it's all legit. I haven't provided them with any additional information either. Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at the prove it letter.
0 -
ACI will be acting on behalf of EE, so have no ability to do anything in this matter.
I`m with fatbelly, send the prove-it letter, and don`t give them any more personal information.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
