We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Amazon withholding £190 Gift Card Balance
My account has been restricted by Amazon. They stated in their email that I was only allowed to make digital purchases, but did not clarify what counted as digital purchases.
When I attempted to purchase some e-vouchers, for Costa and Sainsburys, it said that my gift card balance was ineligible for use in payment.
Have been with Amazon for over 20 years and there's never been any issues with my account. Their reason for the account restriction is 'violation of their refunds and returns policy'. I am aware how that sounds! And obviously everyone will be wondering what the hell I've done to cause this. In reality, very little.
I use Amazon a lot and have made about 7 returns in the past 12 months, all for good reason. The main issue, I suspect, is that some parcels have gone missing from the places the courier leaves them. Namely, the very public foyer of the block of flats I live in. They never brought my parcels to my door.
As I am disabled I am unable to access the foyer quickly as it's several floors down. I eventually started to use the lockers.
What prompted this action is that, when ordering several items, I had to use my partners address as one was a signed for purchase. All the items came in different deliveries and one was listed as "left in a secure location" by the courier. It was nowhere to be found and when I contacted Amazon about this, they restricted my account.
I have sent numerous emails to Amazon, various addresses, ALL of which have been ignored. I sent a letter of complaint, registered mail, to their head office earlier this week.
Citizens advice have told me that if Amazon does not respond to this within 14 days I can then send a Letter Before Action with a view to the small claims court.
The issue with the gift balance should never have arisen as I added two gift cards to my account specifically to pay for this last order. And the order definitely went through as paid for by the gift cards. Two days later I noticed that part of the order had gone through on my credit card. I have no idea why this happened and customer services are unable to explain.
If anyone can give me any advice here, I'd be grateful. I'm aware I'm probably doing all I can. I'm not particularly looking to have my account reinstated, just to be able to use the money that they are withholding.
Thank you in advance. I'm totally blindsided by this.
Comments
-
The above post is very confusing but you cant use an Amazon gift card balance to pay for another gift card.
0 -
I apologise if it was confusing. I actually tried to make it as simple as possible, whilst not leaving anything out.
Thank you for your input. Obviously, I was unaware that it was not possible to pay for gift cards with a balance. Had I known that, I would not have tried to do so.
0 -
And, with them stating "digital purchases" and an e-voucher being considered a 'digital' purchase, I presumed it was ok.
Had Amazon clarified what I could actually spend the balance on, it would have been helpful.
0 -
digital means music and e books not vouchers
2026 wins - Parker Pen American Sweets bundle 2x dish magic bundle NEU shots & a NEU training T-shirt ToeZone Shoes Worth £32
1 -
Have police been involved in theft from the flats?
Life in the slow lane0 -
Amazon won't really care anyway. It's not economically viable for them to get involved in stuff like this. It's far easier just just blacklist a potentially costly customer, regardless of whether it is their fault or not.
1 -
You may wish to re-phrase this!
If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales3 -
Whats wrong with that?
Are police informed & investigating = Involved.
Life in the slow lane0 -
"Have police been involved in theft from the flats" actually reads as if the police committed the theft! "Involved in" = "took part in".
If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales0 -
Citizens Advice are somewhat right in that you can issue a Letter before Action - but what action are you hoping to take?
As someone else has said, you can't use a giftcard to pay for giftcards. I'm 95% sure it goes against Money Laundering Regulations; so it's not just an Amazon restriction - but it's not an area I work in much anymore, hence the 5% doubt. Google doesn't suggest it's been changed.
You also can't force Amazon to do business with you.
Are you complaining about the restricted account, or the payment for the last order being taken from your credit card?Signature down for maintenance :rotfl:0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

