We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Home Insurance
Dear Team - I am seeking the correct house insurance for the home I inherited from my father who died in July. I visit every two weeks and am applying for probate soon. What type of insurance should I get? Shall I call a company and if so which is a good one? The online quotes and questions (Compare sites) are difficult to answer accurately as I do visit once ever two weeks and stay for a few days (not unoccupied for 30 days or more). I live with my partner elsewhere and will be applying for probate after completing inheritance tax and then finally I will change the ownership to me (I am the sole inheritor). Any help much appreciated. Chris
Comments
-
Go for an unoccupied insurance policy. They're not that expensive and much more straightforward to take out.
0 -
In theory you would be able to fit into regular home insurance in most cases but make sure you read the terms properly before you buy it as the definition of "unoccupied" varies significantly between providers.
You can also look at both Second Home and Unoccupied Home insurance as alternatives which tend to be less prescriptive about occupancy on the basis they are up front for properties not permanently lived in however you still need to read the terms as some do require actions to be taken depending on how long the gaps are between visits. These are niche products and therefore are typically distributed by brokers/MGAs and typically have a premium because demand is lower than regular home insurance
1 -
Although I've never had to claim and so can;t comment on that side of things, I've found Homeprotect are good for offering insurance for niche cases like unoccupied properties, holiday homes and properties where probate is awaited.etc
1 -
Many thanks both - I will try the Homeprotect portal for a quote and go from there. Chris
0 -
I have taken out a policy with Homeprotect - It was so much cheaper and I realistically only require basic cover as I will be there a lot in the coming months and the neighbours / family are very helpful and keep an eye etc etc - Many many thanks for the recommendation and advice Poosticks and Myrealname too. I saved a lot of money just by asking here and getting the recommendation and the advice was also helpful - but scary : ) Best wishes - Chris
2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
