We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Pension transfer, Aviva to AJ Bell sipp

I've just recieved my annual statement from Aviva, and I'm paying 1% charges on a £30k pot, so it was just under £300 in charges blast year.

I'm surely better transfering it into my sipp, with AJ Bell, which looks like it's 0.5% charges.

Am I missing anything? I've never transfered a pension before.

Ty

«1

Comments

  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 16,354 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    which looks like it's 0.5% charges.

    'looks like' sounds a little tentative. Are you comparing similar funds? Charges aren't necessarily the same for each fund you hold within your pension.

    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • stulaunch
    stulaunch Posts: 578 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper

    Yealy statement on AJ Bell says £153 charges on £70k. All invested in HSBC GS Balanced

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,867 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I've just recieved my annual statement from Aviva, and I'm paying 1% charges on a £30k pot, so it was just under £300 in charges blast year.

    Do you receive fund-based discounts? Because of a quirk in how charge disclosures are made, fund‑based discounts are often omitted. For example, if you're charged 1% and receive a 0.2% rebate, the charges disclosure will still show 1%.

    Am I missing anything? I've never transfered a pension before.

    Does the Aviva pension include safeguarded benefits?

    I'm surely better transfering it into my sipp, with AJ Bell, which looks like it's 0.5% charges.

    0.5% is at the higher end nowadays for a fund like HSBC Global Strategy Balanced. That fund is 0.19%. If you're paying 0.5%, it suggests your platform charges 0.31%. That's not very cost-effective. It's not a disaster, but there are cheaper. I didn't think AJ Bell's charges were that high. Maybe it's a misunderstanding on your part?

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,703 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 17 September at 10:46PM

    When I looked earlier this evening the AJBell account charges for a SIPP were 0.25% up to £250k and 0.1% on the next £250k.

    Oh and isn't £153 on £70k more like 0.21%?

  • mrklaw
    mrklaw Posts: 415 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    or I think £120 a year fixed if you have only ETFs

  • stulaunch
    stulaunch Posts: 578 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper

    Yes, sorry. Don't know where I saw the 0.5% A J Bell charges. I think I just asked on Google & misread it.

    There is a small rebate on Aviva. Looks like either 0.1 or 0.15%.

    The Aviva pension doesn't have any safeguarded benefits.

    These thing considered, would I be doing the right thing by transfering?

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,636 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Aj Bell platform fee is 0.25%.

    Fund fee for HSBC balanced is 0.19% .

    So total is 0.44%

    £1.50 for each fund purchase.

    AJ Bell have a more restricted app only offering - DODL.

    Platform fee is 0.15%- not sure if they offer HSBC balanced though.

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,875 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    AJ Bell have a more restricted app only offering - DODL. Platform fee is 0.15%- not sure if they offer HSBC balanced though.

    I've got an account with Dodl and no, there don't offer HSBC GS Balanced.

    The closest funds I can see are Vanguard LifeStrategy in VLS 40 / 60 / 80 flavours.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • mrklaw
    mrklaw Posts: 415 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    right now you have 30k. presumably you’re either contributing to it or hoping it grows. so it’ll be more than 30k in future.

    if Aviva charges 1% thats £300 now. if your pot doubles its £600 (still 1%)

    if you move it to a flat rate ETF only provider like AJ Bell - then you’re paying £120 a year which on a 30k pot is 120/30000=0.004 0.4%. if that doubles to 60k then its effectively 0.2%. Both cheaper than the 1% from Aviva

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,636 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    The OP is invested in an OEIC fund, costing 0.19% so as already detailed, AJ Bell cost would be 0.44% in total.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.