We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Towel Rail Wifi Controller

2»

Comments

  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,401 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper

    I doubt most people would assume there would be a heated towel rail full stop.

    We stayed somewhere that had an analogue looking timer dial on the towel rail. So guests could just turn the towel rail on for up to an hour.

    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 8,629 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    The boost timer referred to by @Rodders53 would do for me. Many customers will have the attitude that they're being charged for the electricity anyway, so might as well enjoy the benefit of using it. At least with that switch they won't be able to leave it on all day or all night.

    At home I have a dual fuel towel rail, with a WiFi switch on it, so if the CH is off I can switch it on from my phone - I have a shortcut in my (SmartLife) app that runs it for an hour. Plus I have a "backup" scheduled task that switches all my devices (I have quite a few!) off at midnight, I'm case I've inadvertently left something on. 🙂

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

  • Gadgee
    Gadgee Posts: 19 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker

    Thanks to all for the input.

    Just to answer some comments - whether it is the heated floor or towel rail drying the towels, we have not had any damp towel complaints over the past few years and we do check with guests every few days to ensure that there are no problems or needs.

    We are probably going to insert an electric element to heat the rail instead of via the CH system and it seems that if this gizmo was attached to the valve, it would offer me the remote control I need. I have had various bits of Tp-Link in the house over the years so it is a brand I trust.

    Anything I should be aware of?

    https://amzn.eu/d/02dA9MuA

  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 8,629 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    That valve is for controlling a radiator fed by the central heating system, not an electric radiator.

    If you are looking at replacing the existing towel rail/radiator with a purely electric towel rail, you need a switch along the lines of what has already been suggested.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.