We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Purchasing an Annuity

2

Comments

  • af1963
    af1963 Posts: 586 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    RetirementLine will probably phone you though. They phoned me.

    I usually don't like that either, but in this case they did get a slightly better deal ( lower commission) than H-L.

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,864 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    IFAs are not allowed to receive a commission. An IFA will use the nil-commission annuity rate which will be higher than the commission annuity rate. (however, if the fee equals the commission, the outcome is broadly similar. ie 10x9 vs 9x10).

    I'm not sure whether it's commission or a fee. I am looking for a lifetime annuity

    LV don't do a lifetime annuity.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • JJforever
    JJforever Posts: 61 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    With regards HL, are their quotes up-to-date? The reason I ask is that I have run a quote, with the same information, for the last 3 days on their website and it has come up to the same amount? If you selected 'Apply' would they 'guarantee' that quote? The bond yields have been very volatile this week so I am a bit confused as to how they work out their quotes.

    Has anyone taken out an annuity via them? If you 'Apply' could they turn around and say 'Sorry that quote is no longer available / valid'?

    Thanks in advance

  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,691 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    When you ran those quotes did you just look at the top quote or at all the five or so quotes - and did all five quotes return the same figures on the three days?

    I have not used HL for an annuity so can't answer your question. But when you get an annuity quote following a proper application you will find that it has a limited life (30 days or so - the guaranteed period). The quote is good for that guaranteed period as long as you finish the process within that time.* The chances are you won't do that (I think they say it can take 8 weeks - mine took a lot longer) so a broker like HL will probably get a second quote at some stage to extend the guaranteed period (and you hope it is better than the first quote).

    *By finish the process I mean you must have transferred the funds from the pension to the annuity provider within the guaranteed period. Just sending in the application form for the annuity is not enough.

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,864 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    With regards HL, are their quotes up-to-date? The reason I ask is that I have run a quote, with the same information, for the last 3 days on their website and it has come up to the same amount? If you selected 'Apply' would they 'guarantee' that quote? The bond yields have been very volatile this week so I am a bit confused as to how they work out their quotes.

    You're seeing a limitation of the online quote portals. They won't call the annuity provider or its sales support teams to request the latest quotes. They will use the electronic data, which is not updated in real time.

    If the illustration was generated for that specific quote, it will be guaranteed for the period stated on the illustration.

    Has anyone taken out an annuity via them? If you 'Apply' could they turn around and say 'Sorry that quote is no longer available / valid'?

    I haven't used the HL system, obviously. If it's like the other systems and you only have the top-level comparison quote, that figure is not guaranteed. If you've obtained the provider illustration, it includes the guarantee stated on it.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Fermion
    Fermion Posts: 218 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 20 September at 11:22PM

    We purchased 2 Annuities about 11 months ago via HL. All very smooth. We both went for L&G. (Joint Life fixed with a 5 year guarantee). The rates they quote are guaranteed although as the providers only change rates about every 3-4 weeks HL will run these through the Annuity provider to see if they can improve (which they did in both of our cases).

    We both got a very annuity rate (about 8.6%) although we are older (77 & 72). The whole process was very slick however it may have helped that our SIPPs we both fully crystalised in Drawdown with HL and the we had already converted the required amounts to cash

  • Greylocks
    Greylocks Posts: 66 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts

    I found this company have the best annuity rates when compared to Retirement Line and Hargreaves Lansdown. They had the lowest commission as well.


    https://blackstonemoregate.com

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,864 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 21 September at 1:48PM

    They are an advice firm. Advisers are banned from receiving commission. Adviser rates are often better then the online sites (but not always - broadly speaking, the larger the fund, the more likely an advice firm would be better than a non-advised broker. Also, with health conditions, I have been told by a major annuity provider that advised cases give better health details on average than non-advised)

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • FatherAbraham
    FatherAbraham Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Older people get actuarily worse rates, not better ones (I know the raw quote looks higher, but one receives the payments for a shorter time), because of increasing mortality drag.

    The best time to buy an annuity, actuarily speaking, would be at birth.

    Thus the old Gentleman ended his Harangue. The People heard it, and approved the Doctrine, and immediately practised the Contrary, just as if it had been a common Sermon; for the Vendue opened ...
    THE WAY TO WEALTH, Benjamin Franklin, 1758 AD
  • ali_bear
    ali_bear Posts: 702 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    That's just one of the many reasons not to listen to actuaries

    🐻 A little FIRE lights the cigar 
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.