We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Timing for annual travel insurance
I have annual travel insurance up to the first day of my next holiday, so I need to renew.
With cars it's best to review 23 days before due. Is there anything like that for travel insurance?
Comments
-
The 23 days for cars is an average, it doesn't mean much for individuals. My last car policy the price changed by less than £3 over the 30 days, and best price was on Day 12.
I wouldnt worry about it too much.
0 -
Its best to avoid a last minute purchase generally but in reality an insurer could slash their prices the day before your renewal and so on a single occasion basis then very late could be the cheapest time. Back in my mass market consumer days we reviewed pricing fortnightly and implementation would happen a few days later depending on the number of metric we'd changed. Even back then there was talk of implementing automation (wasnt called AI then) to dynamically change pricing depending on how sales were going and what rank we were on the aggregators for various segments.
0 -
That’s interesting, I didn’t realise insurance prices could change so much depending on timing. I’d probably compare a few quotes well before the trip, just for peace of mind!
0 -
So basically there is no way to know if the price is good or I should wait. Thanks everyone.
0 -
Most would do more than a single quote from a single insurer so no, you can see if a quote is reasonable by trying multiple providers.
In principle you could also ask for quotes with a different start date, a fortnight out, a month out etc, however you want to a limited sample set as you can trigger counter fraud measures etc if you ask for too many similar quotes. Plus if you find that a fortnight out is cheaper than a month out there is no guarantee that the price will be the same if you decide to defer the purchase a couple of weeks
0 -
I've done comparisons. Annoyingly a lot of the comparison sites don't let you set a minimum trip length.
The health screening is not great either. I ended up with Avanti. They only care about stuff from the past two years so in the end I didn't need to declare anything.
Trying for cashback on top.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards