We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
BMW dealership fault after purchase
Good morning
At the end of June this year, I purchased a 2023 plate bmw x1 msport from Ipswich bmw group 1.
the car was sourced from the Norwich dealership and purchased and collected from Ipswich with a very recently completed service and a fresh MOT.
after around a month and a half we noticed a dry squeak coming from the brakes.
I continued to keep an eye on it in case there was simply grit in the pads.
unfortunately the squeak continued therefore I contacted the dealership to get it looked at.
in the meantime I then received an alert on the dash to say the car was low on oil. Obviously I contacted the dealership in the first instance to get the appointment expedited.
I then took the car to the dealership two weeks ago to have the issues looked at.
the tech report stated that there was no visible leaks and simply topped the oil up.
the brakes however showed there is rust around the edges of the discs which will require replacing the discs and pads front and rear at a cost of over £2000.
I argued that this should be at the cost of bmw as this was obviously a pre existing fault when I purchased the car.
the dealership rep said she would speak to the Norwich dealership and her sales manager and get back to me.
fast forward to today and I have just had a call from the dealership. Apparently rust around the edges of discs is normal and doesn’t affect braking therefore it would have passed their checks prior to sale. Therefore are not willing to fund the repairs. Apparently head of business and head of sales are also not willing to pay for the repairs either.
She also recommended that I bring the car to the dealership and take a technician out for a road test to simulate the squeak. And to maybe speak to the sales rep who sold the car and speak to the sales manager again.
im curious where I stand with this matter.. I understand brake discs/ pads are service parts.. but I haven’t even had the car 3 months yet.. from a premium car dealership.
I just don’t think this is good enough to be honest
many thanks in advance
Comments
-
You might have only had it three months, but it's a 3yo car.
But do discs and pads on an X1 cost TWO GRAND? No, not in the real world. Only in the premium-brand franchise dealer world.
The buildup of scale on the disc edges clearly wasn't an issue at purchase - it only appeared six or seven weeks after purchase. How much use had you given it in that time?0 -
I have done about 1000 miles in the near 3 months since purchasing the car. So it’s had daily use.
I can’t answer why I didn’t notice the squeaking immediately when test driving it or after purchasing it.
all I know is between 4-6 weeks after purchase, the brakes began squeaking.0 -
Rust around the edge of discs is not a "fault", and the discs do not need to be replaced unless there is another issue with them that indicates they are unsafe. 300-350ish months, especially with recent rain is more than enough to allow some rust to build up. The squeaking is almost certainly a result of the low mileage and recent damp weather. You can probably just burnish them and that will solve the squeaking.
With regard to the oil BMWs are known for getting through more oil than most other cars. You can use the oil level check system to keep an eye on the oil level, run this once a week and see what happens, but unless you are leaving oil patches or burning oil there is probably little to worry about.
0 -
Not always a bad thing
0 -
Fixing squeaking brakes by replacing the Pads & Disc's is complete nonsense. The first step would be to have the brakes properly cleaned/greased and inspected. The Pads could have become loose t(here is an adhesive pad on the back of the pads to stop them moving) or over heated (Glazed). The latter could result in the pad/disc have a slight pink appearance.
Unless there is something special about them a full set of Brembo would cost less £400 + fitting. Definitely less than a £1000. I have a 12 year old car and while the front's have been replace many times the rears only got recently done because they were too thin.
The Oil needs keeping an eye on.
0 -
As little as 300 miles/month is pretty minimal use - and won't have helped.
0 -
Seems to be a common theme with many car issues posted, that regular checks (oil etc) are not being done. Yet is part of passing the driving test.
Disks would be classed a wear & tear, & should have been pointed out at time of purchase (simple finger test)
No details of mileage at purchase & now. Any MOT advisories in history?
Life in the slow lane0 -
Rust on brake discs is completely normal, because the surface is exposed in the UK. What do the discs actually look like?
Does the squeaking get better after heavy braking (it'll remove surface rust from the pads) or is there a rhythm to it which would indicate that it's warped and rubbing on pad?
Or possibly there's a sticking caliper which is preventing one of the brakes disengaging properly.
None of the above are warranty items though, and I'd recommend taking it to a recommended local garage to look at the brakes because it almost certainly doesn't need a full set or £2k spending on them.0 -
I had a Kia cee'd2 (64 plate) that was at 70k miles in 2024 that had a seized caliper and was covered by the Marshalls warranty pack we took out when we bought it at in 2022. So maybe we had a 'premier' plan that covered that. I don't mean to distract from your good advice, just wanting to point out I had a difference experience.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards