We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Redundancy/higher tax
I’m due to be redundant at the end of the year.
Taxable income will be 56500 (to the date)
Severance is 95500 (30k tax free)
Anticipating a new job starting Jan where I will earn 17500 by end of tax year.
So P60 will show somewhere in region of 139000.
When I start the new job will I be taxed at the higher bracket ? Would making a contribution from the severance into my pension be worthwhile ?
Ideally I want 50k cash to pay for a house extension.
Comments
-
Assuming your new job and current job are PAYE then yes, you will be taxed accordingly as HMRC will know how much you have earned this year and assign the right tax code.
It's worth looking up what happens when your earnings are higher than £100k. Essentially you'll be paying about 60% tax on your earnings above £100k. If you can put enough in your pension to only have £100k earnings this year then that will reduce your tax significantly.
0 -
Some redundancy schemes allow a portion (all?) of the redundancy money to be paid directly into the company pension scheme - or at least I've seen that happen in the past. Assuming you like your work pension and are happy to have the money there that may be an option to look out for. Alternatively you might bump up your AVCs during your remaining months there.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK
"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.” Nellie McClung
⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅0 -
I put £60k into my pension last year when this happened.
The effective tax between £100k and £125k is 60%.
You really need to get your income under £100k.
There are alternatives - you could open a SIPP and put £60k into it and claim back all the tax too.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
