We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Book direct with hotel or book with booking,com

I booked to go to Blackpool in October but the place I booked didn't have the extra night I wanted so I've looked for places for one night and I have three places in mind but is it best to book direct or use booking.com. The first hotel if you book direct with them it says you need to pay a £20 deposit for damages and you have to show photo identification and a credit card which I don't have so I tried phoning the hotel and they didn't answer so I emailed them and they haven't emailed back. The second hotel asked for the country of passport but I don't have one.

Comments

  • It is best NOT to use booking: they are very vulnerable to fraudsters and have minimal customer support, so when things go wrong they are generally unable to help.

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,302 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    These requirements would indicate the type of clientele they get so would bre looking elsewhere.

  • Some time back, talking with the owner of a B&B we used in Tenby (not that Tenby would be different to anywhere else in UK), he pointed out that Booking.com take a big percentage from the hotel; he was willing to offer a lower price direct than the Booking.com price and would still be better off. using Booking.com to research, followed by booking direct, has advantages. It also means there's no middleman to mess things up or to fail to respond if things go wrong. Remember your booking (= contract) would be with Booking.com, not the hotelier.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.