We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Any one know what this plant is?

twopenny
twopenny Posts: 9,345 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

It was given to me in a small pot, bought from Morrisons.

I had no room or really wanted it but it survived neglect, bitter cold and drought so I planted it this spring. It's grown lot! Still neglected. So I'm thinking I should make use of it. The flowers are pretty.

No scent and not attractive to insects which is a shame.

1000011963.jpg

I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


Comments

  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 3,463 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic

    They're Osteospermums, maybe O. jucundum. Or possibly they're Dimorphotheca ecklonis, I can never tell the difference. They'll like your maritime winters. In fact there's a purple one called 'Tresco Purple' after the Channel Island, but I doubt if Morrison's sell named varieties. 🤔

    Never believe anything until it's officially denied.

  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,814 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    If you are lucky enough for them to be Osteospermums then you will have a prize in the garden this year and hopefully next!! I'm on a 50/20 ratio with them returning.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Thanks both, now I remember the name but couldn't for a couple of weeks 😊

    Dusty I miss read your answer and thought it said Tesco purple 😄

    Brie it didn't go with my scented/insect friendly garden but my neighbour gave it to me so I moved it around in a small pot thinking it would die over winter but it seems to survive every maltreatment. So with our current climate seems like one for the list of things that don't need watering.

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 4,407 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I have two of these didn't know what they were called, thought it was a flowering weed at one point. It flowers all the time even after looking like it's died it springs back.

    2026 wins - Parker Pen American Sweets bundle 2x dish magic bundle NEU shots & a NEU training T-shirt ToeZone Shoes Worth £32

  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 15,894 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Homepage Hero Name Dropper

    2P Dusty I miss read your answer and thought it said Tesco purple 😄

    I did the same and then wondered why Tesco would not sell them 😂

    Member of "Rubbish at Radishes" club
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 3,463 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic
    edited 14 September at 9:40AM

    I wouldn't know about what Tesco sells.

    I worked for them on Friday evenings and Saturdays when I was 16. It was 'educational.'

    Say no more! 🤐

    Never believe anything until it's officially denied.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.