We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
car insurance issue
I put my partner on my car insurance last year.
Now he remembers he forgot to declare 2 no fault accidents in the past 5 years, and I'm really struggling to get this clarified with the insurance company.
Should there be an extra charge for this?
What should I do?
(I tried to communicate by website/ live chat, and then phone - but found the people difficult to communicate with).
I'd rather be able to email, I think, and then there would be a trail as well.
c
Comments
-
They could increase the premium and levy a charge for this.
They could cancel the policy.
You will have to find a way to contact them.
Which company?
Things that are different: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid1 -
Carole Nash
0 -
The company seems to use Twitter(X) and Facebook. Are either of those any use?
Do they not answer their phones?
Things that are different: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid0 -
I've asked for this to be moved to the Insurance board, although it's likely that the responses there will be along the same lines as those already given by @oldernonethewiser
0 -
ah, where is the insurance board?
I'm a bit lost, and my moneysaving id hard to get into - I was Gandalf the Cat, but not sure who I am now…
0 -
They would be foolish not to increase ie ie higher risk, regaless of fault.
0 -
It is likely it will increase premiums, and potentially more than would have been had they been declared in the first place given you have bought from a broker. Its likely there will be an admin fee on top of any change of premiums.
You should get a new copy of the paperwork after the change is made which shows the two claims now declared. Dont really need another paper trail as long as you check the paperwork when it arrives0 -
two no fault accidents in the past 5 years suggests a higher risk driver. Not being at fault for an insurance claim, doesn’t mean that there was not a fault by the insured that put their vehicle in a position where it was more likely to be involved in an accident. So, yes, its likely to increase the premium.
However, many car insurance policies only ask about the last 3 years nowadays. So, depending on the dates of the no fault claims, it may only be one and many insurers don't increase the premium if there is just one in their past history period.
A phone call to the insurance company will answer that question.
I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
