We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Why would I have 0% chance of being accepted for this card?

I was interested in the Barclaycard Platinum with a year's free Apple TV as mentioned in the weekly email recently. As suggested, I used the eligibility calculator.

I've lived at my current address for 4 years, I'm on the elctoral roll, I earn £48k salary with an additional £20k from rental income and my mortage is £970 a month. That seems comfortable. I have no other debts.

I checked the MSE Credit Club which gives me a TransUnion score of 637/710 and an MSE affordability score of 93/100.

But the eligibility calculator says I have a 0% chance of aproval. What might be going on there?

Comments

  • Could be anything. Lack of credit history, adverse history on any of the CRAs (either rightly or wrongly), financial associates, or simply you're not in their target audience. The scores from the credit club don't form any part of their assessment.

  • redux
    redux Posts: 23,148 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 11 September at 12:24PM

    I don't rate MSE's eligibility checker or the list of prospective cards it produces, and I recently didn't like the alarmist message its credit club sent late about a 0% offer expiring

    I've got a couple of cards it previously predicted no chance whatsoever, and a few years ago I failed on one it said 100%

    Barclaycard seems to have its own eligibility checker, which it says you can use before deciding to apply, and it says it won't affect yout credit score.

  • mta999
    mta999 Posts: 767 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    yes, definitely try the eligibility checker on the Barclays website

  • bigpat
    bigpat Posts: 346 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Ah you're right! It's been afew years since I last applied for anything like this so i dodn't know they had their own checker.

    That was positive,so I proceeded to apply and have been accepted with a £5,500 limit. Simple as that.

    So it seems the MSE eligibilty checker is WAY off.

  • horsewithnoname
    horsewithnoname Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    it told my sibling and me that we’d no chance of getting a BT card from virgin; we both got one. I don’t know what criteria the Mrs one uses, but it doesn’t seem to be the same as real life 😁

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.