We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Annuities - where do you think rates are going?

124»

Comments

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,880 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Thanks for that. I also wonder how quickly annuity rates respond to increasing gilt yields, such as we have seen in the last few days ?

    Some providers have real-time figures. Just retirement, for example. With them, you get the quote in the normal way, but the advisor/broker can then phone them up. They will do further checks to see how things are moved in real time and if there are any margins available.

    Others can change within hours. I've seen periods in the past where email notifications about a rate change have come through multiple times over the course of a day.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • MetaPhysical
    MetaPhysical Posts: 585 Forumite
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    I'm 59 and fully retired and I'm currently using UFPLS/drawdown at the moment rather than an annuity to not paint myself into a corner and to give me options. I do not wish to commit to an annuity just yet although I will probably do so at some point in the next ten years or so when the rates are favourable in the economic cycle.

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,651 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    It is not all or nothing though. If you have a big pot you can buy an annuity with a minor part of it, as part of an overall strategy.
    Rates are getting more attractive by the day. If the oil starts flowing more freely again they may fall back, but who knows?

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.