We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Annuities - where do you think rates are going?

What do you think annuity rates are going to do over the next year or so?

Best to buy tomorrow or wait a few months?

Backstory - I'm a couple of years off retirement age, single, no dependants and am close to pushing the button on a lifetime annuity at around 6% with a 3% escalation.

Reasoning is to give me certainty of income going forwards - I'm not using all of my pension pot so will have other options if needed later.

Opinions invited!

Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
«134

Comments

  • mrklaw
    mrklaw Posts: 419 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    why are you waiting? if you’re waiting for better returns why not just stay in equities and do drawdown? if you’re buying an annuity for certainty of income and the rates now do the job you want them to do - then surely buying now means that job is done and that income is secured? otherwise its just speculating.

    heck I wish I could buy a future dated annuity to start in a couple of years - I have the money now but still working. (went gilt ladder instead as a close approximation)

  • MK62
    MK62 Posts: 1,901 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    If certainty is what you want, then it would seem that buying now would give you that…….nobody knows for sure which way annuity rates will go from here, so all you'll get is a bunch of opinions, which might all be wrong, inc mine…..which is that while rates might rise further, they are already at a multi year high, and there is a danger of them falling from here…..

  • ctdctd
    ctdctd Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    "heck I wish I could buy a future dated annuity to start in a couple of years"

    You could buy one now with annual income paid in arrears - that's one of your 'couple of years' sorted! 😁

    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
  • ctdctd
    ctdctd Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 11 September at 8:39AM

    Thanks, I've considered RPI linked but I see that RPI is being combined with CPIH in 2030 which will have the effect of reducing the RPI figure by 0.5-1%. I'm prepared to risk that there won't be runaway inflation in my lifetime - if there is, I have the rest of the pension pot ready to deploy!

    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 2,172 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!

    I would be leaning towards RPI instead too. Another a period of high inflation is more than possible.

    I would also buy now and just increase your pension contributions whilst still working.

  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 21,911 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 11 September at 8:48AM

    If you're going to buy an annuity at retirement the usual thing to do in the years leading up to retirement is to move into a gilts based fund or buy mid dated gilts, which will hedge annuity rates. If gilts go up in price, annuity rates will drop and vv.

    The other thing to consider as above is an index linked annuity. A flat or fixed rate escalation annuity doesn't provide certainty of spending power, it may provide certainty of the number of pounds you get but not what you can buy, which is far more important. (Then of course you'd use index linked gilts or an IL gilts fund in the lead up)

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,880 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    What do you think annuity rates are going to do over the next year or so?

    predicting the unpredicatable is largely pointless. You don't know what events are coming along that could impact on gilt yields.

    Some thought we hit the peak in 2022, some in 2023, some in 2024, some in 2025 and some in 2026.

    Best to buy tomorrow or wait a few months?

    what do you think is going to happen to gilt yields in that period?

    what is Donald Trump going to do next?

    Backstory - I'm a couple of years off retirement age, single, no dependants and am close to pushing the button on a lifetime annuity at around 6% with a 3% escalation.

    rather than buy the annuity now when you are several years younger and getting a lower annuity rate due to age, you could change the investments to gilts and use that as your hedge.

    Alternatively, you could buy the annuity on a platform and not draw from the cash account. You could even reinvest the income paid within the pension until it is needed.

    Thanks, I've considered RPI linked but I see that RPI is being combined with CPIH in 2030 which will have the effect of reducing the RPI figure by 0.5-1%. I'm prepared to risk that there won't be runaway inflation in my lifetime - if there is, I have the rest of the pension pot ready to deploy!

    With globalisation in retreat and the major powers holding smaller countries to ransom, inflation is expected to be higher than the last 25 years. The UK is particulary sensitive to global affairs and inflation is likely to be where it plays out. Plus, the UK Government is showing no signs of getting spending under control. So, a devaluation is likely at some point in your lifetime. I would go RPI personally.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 2,172 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!

    Or you could always hedge your bets. Buy an annuity now with part of your fund, reinvesting the income in your pension, then buy another one when you retire.

  • ctdctd
    ctdctd Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Interesting - I hadn't thought about that. Will investigate!

    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.