We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:
Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour.
Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Survey at 11th hour
I think I've found the answer to this but want to hear human views. How common is it as a vendor to get to the verge of exchanging contracts and suddenly learn your buyer wants a survey?
This isn't for me, it's for someone close to me. It's been over three months since they accepted the buyer's offer, which was 24% lower than original valuation.
They have gone through all the searches etc and signed all their paperwork ready to complete. The estate agent has now said the buyers want a survey because of some work they want doing to the property. That survey has happened today and they're awaiting reports.
The estate agent initially said the buyer's mortgage had been agreed. Now they are saying it's a mortgage survey.
What's your experience of this kind of thing? And how far off exchange would you say the vendor is if the survey is all good?
Comments
-
Perhaps the mortgage had been agreed in principle only?
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK
"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.” Nellie McClung
⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅0 -
No all the searches and enquiries are done and solicitors were instructed three months ago. This is well past that stage.
0 -
Sounds unusual to me. Most buyers wouldn't get this far along and only then suddenly decide they want a survey.
If it's not about a mortgage (that was not agreed earlier) then my prediction is they will be asking for a further reduction in the sale price following the survey - saying they cannot proceed without the reduction (e.g. perhaps because it's supposedly thrown up issues that make the work they want to do more costly).
And by leaving it this late - rather than doing the survey earlier - the vendor will feel more pressure to accept a further reduction rather than put the property back on the market.
Vendor may need to be prepared to call their bluff.
0 -
This is exactly my fear. It's absolutely rotten if so and a good case for why we need a law change in England. I quite like the system we have in principle, but it is too open to exploitation with absolutely dire consequences for innocent parties.
0 -
I blame the obsession with "moneysaving…" - buyers seem to get advised to only do one thing at a time (in case one of them throws up a problem) rather than multitask, so the process takes months longer than it needs to (which itself increases the risk of something throwing a spanner in the works).
3 -
I had this done to me which was followed by wanting a £10,000 reduction 3 months after agreeing asking price and taking it off the market but without me seeing the proof of the problem they suggested.
I was furious and a brief search showed it's suggested online as a way to get a price reduction and have since heard people say it's a fine way to do it. Frankly I just said no. It's going back on the market which did the trick. Then they wanted an immediate exchange. Not enough time to pack .
Messed me about a lot and stressed. It's never going to happen to me again as I won't hang around next time.
Just search 'leaving survey till last minute to get a reduction in price uk'
I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!
viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on
The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well
6 -
Yes - if the demand is unreasonable vendor needs to stand firm and call their bluff. If buyer has just spent money on a survey and other fees they may be unwilling to walk away when it comes down to it.
0 -
And what if the survey came back and said it needs £20k worth of work to be habitable and even then it's not worth what they are paying? There's too many variables to have a hard and fast rule. If they are FTB they may have not realised they need a survey and decided to do it last minute because they've just found out it's a good idea. As above, the vendor tends to be the one who has spent the least on their sale, the main danger for them is their onward purchase. If it was me, I would be asking why they hadn't had a survey done within a few weeks of accepting the offer. I wouldn't even consider reducing price unless they sent me a copy of the survey to look at though.
1 -
They’ve already had a 24% price reduction
What was this based on ?
How realistically priced was the property initially to attract and accept such a reduction
See what the survey says and any amended offer.
If the property has huge underlying issues then price and expectations may need to be updated anyway for future buyers
0 -
We haven't full context, but agreeing a 24% reduction is pretty startling in itself.
At the height of the 2008/9 price crash we sold at 16% below original valuation, and that felt upsetting for an up-together house in a great location.
We might be heading for another 2008, but things are not that dire yet, so was this large reduction due to acknowledgement of structural/condition issues with the property? If so, one would surely have expected the survey to come then, not now.
It doesn't add up.
Weak men. Hard times.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.8K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.2K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.8K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards



