We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Universal Credit Rent Arrears
My ex tenant is several thousand in arrears. They say that payments have been made to the landlord, in this case the letting agent. The tenant has asked UC for details of the account it was paid to in order that we can challenge the agent as to why they deny having received the payments. Many efforts have been made by myself and the tenant both on the phone and online chat with no resolution. Can anyone give advice?
I see my only option is to go via small claims and hope for a court instruction to UC to provide bank account details.
Comments
-
Are you 100% sure that the rent was paid direct by UC and not the tenant should have paid it ?
Did the tenant leave or was this an eviction ?
0 -
Why chase UC, ask the letting agent!
Did the HB cover all the rent or was there any additional the tenant should have covered?
Proud to have dealt with our debtsStarting debt 2005 £65.7K.
Current debt ZERO.DEBT FREE0 -
Does the tenents UC monthly statement show who the payment is to?
Perhaps asking in Benefits section would get some good advice on what is shown & how to get details.
Life in the slow lane0 -
As far as I am aware Universal Credit does not make payments to landlords except in specific circumstances.
I don't think that all people who have been transitioned over the UC are aware of this and it comes as a complete surprise to them when they get into arrears.
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."
0 -
but then they should notice all the rent money in their bank accounts!
Sadly, some tenants lie and claim not to have received the housing element of universal credit when they have.
I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.2 -
Exactly so.
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."
0 -
Have you asked to see your tenant's UC statements? That should show any housing element that is included in their payments, and I presume would state if it was being deducted as paid direct to landlord. That'll be easier than trying to speak to anyone useful at UC.
I think lots of people don't bother checking their statements, and as someone else pointed out, they may not realise that unlike old benefits where housing benefit was a separate thing, with UC its all lumped into one payment.
Also, if you're paying an agent to collect rent and manage, why are you the one trying to sort this out?
1 -
"as far as I'm aware UC does not make payments to a landlord except in specific circumstances. I agree that used to be the case but not anymore.
When I transitioned over last year they asked me if I wanted it paid directly and I agreed. No other questions were asked. I'm more than capable of managing my own money and I'm not in arrears with my rent.
1 -
I think quite a few have the rent paid direct to landlord on UC. They can request it or sometimes it's the landlord.
Come on you Irons1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


