We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
2020 2nd hand car a mechanical write-off 10 weeks after purchase
Comments
-
Option 3 would be my choice.
Get a perfectly good used engine from a breaker, removed from a car that's been crashed. Fit it. Drive it.
A "reconditioned" engine for a 2020 1.5 turbo petrol Mini is going to be a used engine from a breaker, which has been steam cleaned and perhaps a couple of cosmetic bits polished. No more. It certainly hasn't been apart, had machine work, new bearings, etc.1 -
Cant comment on the engine issues but sounds like you are going to do the right thing with seeing your best friends family right, well done.
I dont understand people here suggesting to do otherwise and damage a good relationship beyond repair.
2 -
Spilt milk and all that. Never sell or buy a car from someone you are friends with, work with, or related to. Something I learned to my cost very early on, bought my very first car for £500 from a work colleague and it turned out to be a bona fide lemon. Stopped by cops in it after a couple of weeks, who promptly whacked a prohibition notice on it and I was prosecuted for multiple contraventions. I was stopped when driving to work, it was about 500 yards away. They let me drive it to my work car park from whence it was collected and towed away by a scrap merchant. And I had to see the lady that turned me over, in the canteen practically on a weekly basis!
1 -
I would tell them if they expect your assistance that they allow you to get a second opinion and other quotes. They should not expect a brand new engine if that is needed. As already mentioned, if the roles were reversed, how would they behave?
0 -
Before anyone spends huge money on it, I'd get it diagnosed at Mini. It might cost £150 but it may also save a full engine replacement.
Was it diagnosed by a reputable garage?0 -
The message says £150/hour to diagnose, and anticipates 10-12hours to strip the engine back. So quite a high outlay just to find out what’s wrong…
0 -
You don't need to strip it (taking 10-12 hrs) to diagnose it though.
1 -
Yea very true.
0 -
I took this text to mean the diagnostic was only 1 hour:
"They recommended a Mini specialist investigation starting with an initial 1 hour diagnostic which may indicate likely issues and extent for required engine strop down"
Which should be enough to figure out if the engine has had it or not. I wouldn't recommend paying Mini more than the hours labour unless they think it's a quick fix.1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards