We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Potentially incorrect information on home insurance

Houser12345
Houser12345 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 8 September at 11:02AM in Insurance & life assurance

I have looked at my home insurance as I need to add my partner onto it as she is moving in, and have noticed that a few questions that I answered when I took the policy out seem to be incorrect, such as I have put that there is 0% flat roof, when my conservatory is classed as a flat roof, and I have put that there are no cracks in the walls when there are some (my house survey said they are minor repairs that aren't structural which is why I think I answered 'no', but the insurance policy doesn't specify the level of crack, so I think technically my answer is wrong.

I don't want to have to make a claim in the future and have it denied because I provided the wrong information, and I don't want to call them and ask to amend it in case they say they can't and then cancel the policy as then I will have a cancelled policy on my record.

I have found an insurer who will insure with me answering 'yes' to questions about cracks, and with the correct flat roof %. Are there any risks or problems with taking out home insurance with the new insurer with the correct information, and cancelling my old incorrect policy myself (other than the cancellation fees which I am happy to accept given that this was probably my mistake)?

Comments

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.