We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Subsidence claim
hello. My small back conservatory sank and twisted away from the house in 2022. The house and extension have been monitored and there is no movement. The house is 1600 and the extension over thirty years old. The back conservatory about 25 years old. The insurers said cutting down trees and reducing the hedge would solve and the conservatory would bounce back up once the soil rehydrated. In 2023 we had record rainfall but nothing happened. I’ve repeatedly asked them to underpin but they said not necessary. In the end, I gave up and they left the building sunk and twisted but chipped away the wall and put in a window that appeared straight. The doorframe to the toilet was made to look straight and door chopped down to fit. The floor was raised on one side to appear straight. The cracks filled and painted, new windowsills to look straight. Still saying the building would raise itself so why do all the work covering up the damage. After the heatwave this year, the building has sunk, cracks reappeared and I can’t open windows. The repair company wanted to do cosmetic repairs again but, in the end, went back to the insurance company who sent out their structural engineer again. I begged him to recommend underpinning but he said they would probably want the hedge out and neighbours trees and the building would right itself. But if it came back to where it was originally all the cosmetic work would surely be undone? Obviously, the insurers pay the structural engineer so I don’t know if it would be worth paying for another, independent, report. Although the house is not affected my insurance premiums have gone sky high because of this claim. Sorry about the rant but I just don’t know what to do as feel I’m up against a huge corporation with no chance of success.
Comments
-
I would be getting an opinion from my own structural engineer
1 -
Where is the best place to find a local SE who deals with this sort of issue?
0 -
Institution of structural engineers or association of consultancy and engineering websites have find an engineer tool
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards