We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Tenancy deposit dispute – what I've learnt about negotiating

I’m going through a tenancy deposit dispute and thought it might be useful to share my experience. My deposit is held in the Custodial Tenancy Deposit Scheme.

My landlord initially wanted £380 deducted for 3 different items. I disagreed and initially rejected all deductions.

Rather than just arguing about whether the amounts were “fair”, I started asking for the evidence behind each claim – check-in/check-out evidence and quotations or estimates for the amounts claimed.

The negotiation was conducted on email with clear non-emotional language. This has been very useful as I had a ready made evidence trail to submit on the Tenancy Deposit Scheme website to demonstrate that we had made attempts to resolve the issue before engaging the dispute process.

We couldn't reach agreement, so it has now gone into the dispute process. The Landlord now has 5 working days to provide evidence for their claim.

The interesting bit for me is what happened next. The Tenancy Deposit Scheme confirmed that £1,501 was undisputed and has now been returned to me, with only the £380 remaining in dispute.

My main learning is:

A landlord claim isn't evidence.

I'm not refusing to pay if the evidence demonstrates that the Landlord claim is a reasonable and justified deduction. I'm just not prepared to accept £380 simply because it has been asserted.

It has also made me realise that sometimes the best negotiation move isn't to persuade the other person, it's to move the disagreement into a fair process where an independent third party can assess the evidence. 

It has been very useful/critical for me to understand the rights and timings that I have as a result of my deposit being held in a third party scheme which I’d recommend to all tenants if they find themselves in a similar situation.

I’ve been fortunate enough not to need my deposit returned quickly. It has taken me 51 days from my deposit return request to get to this stage. The whole process for myself and the Landlord could have been much quicker if evidence for claims was produced much earlier in the process.

I'll see what happens with the money still in dispute and may post an update.

Comments

  • whaleroad
    whaleroad Posts: 26 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    I'm really interested to know what sort of things they are claiming for.

    The fact they've returned most of the deposit and only holding back a small amount doesn't mean they are fair or their claim justified. They can't, for instance, insist of the full replacement cost for lost or broken items; only the value now. Which for many things is £0.

    My last landlady wanted £100 out of a £1,000 deposit for things that were wear and tear. A new filter on the 14-year-old dehumidifier for instance! I didn't think it was worth disputing but the lettings agent fought my corner.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,453 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    It has also made me realise that sometimes the best negotiation move isn't to persuade the other person, it's to move the disagreement into a fair process where an independent third party can assess the evidence. 

    So in effect, what you've learnt about negotiating is - don't. If there's a third party already in place to arbitrate the disagreement then let them sort it out.

  • It had the external appearance of not negotiating but the reality was I was negotiating all the time - by trying to prepare by understanding the process, reacting to communication from the Landlord/Letting agent in a way that was polite, yet firm knowing there was a chance this may be used as evidence later in the process. As my Landlord didn’t change their position at any stage or produce evidence to support their claim it became inevitable we’d end in deadlock which is where the tenancy dispute scheme process now puts the onus on the Landlord to properly evidence their claim and I’ve now got the undisputed money back. A big test for me personally was to be patient in a process where I had £1900 sat in limbo.

  • Thanks for your comment - a fact not every tenant knows and I didn’t until recently is that it is the Landlords responsibility to evidence any claim using check in report, check out report and quotes/estimates. I think you’re right that normal wear and tear is not claimable by the Landlord and in an ideal world this is evidenced in the check out report

  • sherlock228
    sherlock228 Posts: 181 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper

    and that in a nutshell is a sad fact of life in 2026, some 19 years after deposit schemes became a legal requirement.
    Tenants still have not educated themselves on what to do when renting.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.