We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Missing pension contributions - former Employer

hello looking for advice


I worked for an employer (2024-2025). My pension contributions were taken directly at source monthly from salary.

recently I contacted the pension provider to request annual statement and info about partial retirement. The pension provider said there was no record of any contributions for the 14 months working for the former employer and my pension comtributions stopped before I worked with this employer. I was advised to complete a form to send to former employer payroll with my unique pension ID. The employer has not engaged or even acknowledged my letter, nor has payroll/pension team. I raised a ticket.

I contacted the pension ombudsman (TPO) who said they couldn’t investigate due to pending ET and closed my complaint.


I called TPO to explain the missing pension was not part of legal action as I discovered that my pension contributions after ET was accepted by court.

My question, is there anything I can do to escalate or recover my missing pension (£12-£13k of contributions approx). TPO must investigate to support recovery of pension.

Thank you

«1

Comments

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,459 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    I contacted the pension ombudsman (TPO) who said they couldn’t investigate due to pending ET and closed my complaint.

    Sorry, what's "ET"?

  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,514 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    What do your legal representatives for the ET say about it ? Surely your first port of call.

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • I thought I made it clear the ET does not include the missing pension contributions. I hope someone will be able to answer the question about the specifics of the pension question.

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,864 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    The ET should be dealing with this and has priority over the ombudsman or any other route.

    The ET claim should be amended.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 16,352 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Your use of the term 'partial retirement' suggests this might be a defined benefit scheme - is that the case?

    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 16,352 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Thank you for clarifying it's a DB scheme.

    The pension provider said there was no record of any contributions for the 14 months working for the former employer and my pension comtributions stopped before I worked with this employer.

    This suggests it might be a public sector pension scheme and you've got at least one previous period of membership. If so, you are likely to have a total period of scheme membership of at least two years (is that correct?), which would give you the right to a deferred pension in the scheme.

    The employer has not engaged or even acknowledged my letter, nor has payroll/pension team. I raised a ticket.

    Did you raise the ticket because you didn't get a response, or not get a response after raising it? How long ago did you raise it?

    If the answer is along the lines of 'many weeks ago'(!), then you might want to make a formal complaint using your scheme's own Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure. The Pensions Ombudsman won't take your case until you've been through IDRP. The IDRP is scheme-specific and you can normally download from your scheme's website or request a copy from those administering the scheme. Given this is pretty recent employment you presumably have payslips showing the deductions made from your salary, so make sure you include at least one of those.

    Once you've exhausted IDRP, then you have the right to go the Pensions Ombudsman - and I would expect them to accept your case provided it is crystal clear that it doesn't form part of your ET proceedings.

    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • thank you for responding. Yes it is a public sector pension scheme - 5 years of continuous service and previous 4 years reckonable service. The employer has not acknowledged or responded - emailed HR, Head of workforce and data protection. I subsequently emailed the payroll helpline with the form I was advised to send by pension scheme. This has been some weeks/months of attempting to getting any response.

    Before I left, I thankfully downloaded all my payslips, although HMRC take statements also prove employment (proving the pension contributions) - it appears the employer deleted my service record.

  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 16,352 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 7 September at 2:19PM

    Before I left, I thankfully downloaded all my payslips, although HMRC take statements also prove employment (proving the pension contributions) - it appears the employer deleted my service record.

    If you have proof of your contributions (and you obviously do) then it may not be speedy, but the matter will get resolved and you'll get the pensionable service credit to which you are entitled. Simply going through the IDRP might well resolve the issue - it'll be difficult for the employer to claim you weren't a member during your period of employment if they were deducting contributions from your pay.

    Technically IDRP can only be used where a complaint is against the trustees/managers of a scheme, so I'd go for the approach that the contributions were correctly deducted but not correctly recorded in the scheme's records, which should do the trick. To cover all bases, you could also make a formal complaint to your former employer to prove to the Pensions Ombudsman that you've exhausted all complaint avenues open to you.

    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.