We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Expedia and Hotels.com currency issues

2»

Comments

  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 6,050 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    It has depended for me when I pay. Booking well ahead, one of the advantages of Booking.com is that you don't have to pay the full amount, as you do direct to the hotel.

    I've had the deposit taken in pounds and then the balance - sometimes a short time before the visit - taken in the local currency.

    I was expecting it though, it certainly wasn't hidden, and had paid with a travel card.

    Like any currency movement it can work both ways. I've paid more than first quoted, but also paid less.

  • lon_don
    lon_don Posts: 195 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    It has depended for me when I pay. Booking well ahead, one of the advantages of Booking.com is that you don't have to pay the full amount, as you do direct to the hotel.

    In my case the better Expedia price (vs booking on the US site in USD and converting at the prevailing fx rate) was conditional on paying up front and being non refundable. It was also less than 1 month before travel.

  • redux
    redux Posts: 23,147 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 12 September at 1:07AM

    That chargeback might be for some different circumstances, such as at a Polish motorway fuel forecourt, near the German border, where I looked on the receipt on the way out and saw a charge in pounds, which had not appeared on the terminal screen

    I went back and asked it to be cancelled and charged instead in złoty, in a slightly raised voice so the people in two queues might hear me. The manager came out and did it on a third till

    When I got home I calculated that this supposedly helpful measure had as I suspected a high currency margin built in, 8%, while my card had none.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.