We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
How do I "SEE" a USB drive
I have a USB drive connected to my laptop with an old 1Tb HDD in it
I can see it under control panel / device manager - but not in explorer
Why is that and how do I see it ?
If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.
Comments
-
Use Disk Manager to check if the drive has partitions and is formatted in a Windows filesystem. The drive could have been used for Linux Mint and formatted as EXT4.
0 -
Is it formatted/partitioned?
0 -
Usually it's due to a corrupt file system, a partition not recognised by windows or it's unallocated. Does it show in disk management?
Could also be a failed HDD
Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!0 -
When you plug it in does Windows not pop up with a message of any kind?
0 -
It could be ok but not have a drive letter assigned
go to management / disk management and see if there is a drive letter and if not then assign one eg D:
0 -
OK I have allocated it a drive letter "D" but it now wants me to format it - the whole idea was to see what was on it !
If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.0 -
Now you know what was on it…nothing.
0 -
Now - yes!
If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.0 -
Is there another question then as your original question has now been answered?
0 -
Assigning the letter D does not change what was on the drive
If it wants you to format it then it means to drive is flagged as unformatted
That does not mean there is no data on it of course (could be a corrupted file system). You could try investigating utilities to extract data from a drive that is flagged as unformatted
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards