We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
DMP advice
Comments
-
There's no need to feel guilty. These are big companies you are talking about, they'll have built a certain amount of non payment into their business plan, your debt will get sold on for a small fraction of its value and they will still make a decent profit overall. It's not like you aren't paying a relative back and age leaving them short.
2 -
I've cancelled my direct debits and I've already had two text messages today to tell me to update my payment details, I've tried to change my contact details but I need to verify the phone number, so I'm unable to give them a false number 🥴
Keep having to remind myself that I'm doing the right thing.
0 -
and now I've just read a comment on another diary that states a charging order is a possibility when there is equity on your house. I own my home on my own, is my house going to be at risk? This has terrified me now.
0 -
A possibility? Yes.
Likely? No.
Charging orders do not appear out of thin air. They are a step after a CCJ, which themselves are as rare as hens teeth for consumer debt if managed properly.
For the phone number I have heard of people getting a cheap pay as you go sim. Popping that in their phone for the time it takes to change the number, then taking it out and sticking it a drawer somewhere.
My Debt free diary
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6492297/10-000-steps-1-step-at-a-time0 -
Thank you for that, so as long as when I have my defaults and set up payments with whoever, the likelihood of this happening is very slim.
I will have a look into another SIM card.
Thanks for the reassurance.
0 -
A charging order just sits on the land registry deeds and stays there until the house is either sold or the debt is repaid some other way.
Lots of people have charging orders, they mean diddly squat in 99% of cases, judges do everything in their power to prevent a CO evolving into an order for sale, as long as you make payments to the CCJ, nothing else will happen.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
