We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

DMP advice

2

Comments

  • ManyWays
    ManyWays Posts: 2,593 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 8 September at 8:36AM

    I have tried Google and can not find the page that statement is on.

    But that statement does not say there is only a 12% (or 10-20%) chance of a defaulted debt being taken to court if no payment arrangement is in place.

    You have to have some idea of how many people set up payment arrangements, DMPs or token payments after a default, as it is much much less likely they will be taken to court.

    Also there are well over 100,000 people going into insolvency each year, and all their debts will have defaults added but no CCJ will happen after insolvency.

    If someone gets a default and does not set up a payments arrangement or go insolvent, I think there is a much larger chance of being taken to court for a CCJ than 12%.

  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 32,949 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    I also can`t now find that page either, it did originate from 2019, so possibly removed or updated now.

    I have edited my post to remove that information.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • flamingo22
    flamingo22 Posts: 163 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    so my plan is to stop paying my debts this month, the thought of it makes me feel sick and anxious.

    Jobs for the week are to give payroll my details for my other bank account, change my email address and phone numbers with the debts.

    I know I'm doing the right thing for me, but at the same time, it feels so wrong.

  • flamingo22
    flamingo22 Posts: 163 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    And I feel disappointed in myself that it's come to this.

  • 13thlegion
    13thlegion Posts: 173 Forumite
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper

    This is a natural feeling and shared by many of us when we hit this culmination point. It can feel like the worst. What I can promise you is this is the worst, it is all upwards now.

    It does not mean you are a failure. It does not make you less a person. Quite the opposite. You are taking control of your finances. It's like a really messy room. At the start it feels impossible, and the first actions feel like just moving rubbish around without seeing the carpet/light at the end. It took time to create the present, and it will take time to create the future.

    Be proud of yourself for understanding the situation. Be proud that you are taking the best proactive course to change it.

  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 32,949 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    edited 11 September at 12:21PM

    You shouldn't feel that way at all, what you should be feeling is liberation, liberation from the credit bubble.

    All banks work on the principle of "fractional reserve banking" you were lent money the lender never actually had, and were charged interest on that money, thus creating them profit, you and millions like you are conned into this system every year.

    Guilt is what they should be feeling, not you!!

    This is why when you default, they can afford to sell your debt at a mere fraction of its face value, and write the rest off to tax, the actual debt is worthless in their eyes, it only becomes profitable again when the company that buys it looks to obtain the full balance from you.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • flamingo22
    flamingo22 Posts: 163 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Thank you, I feel like I'm going to have a neon sign above my head saying 'this one doesn't pay her debts' 🥴

  • flamingo22
    flamingo22 Posts: 163 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Thank you 🙂

  • flamingo22
    flamingo22 Posts: 163 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    So I've changed my bank account that my wage gets paid into. I'm currently transferring my direct debits (manually) I'm struggling to press the 'cancel direct debits' on my debts, I know I need to do it. And then I need to update my contact details with the lenders (fake number, new email address) and then wait.

    That's it for now isn't it?

  • fluffyowl
    fluffyowl Posts: 21 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I would not feel guilty at all. I was in debt 2002 because of an overdraft that I took out when I was a university student and the interest rate was 19% now all interest to 24% despite the fact that the base rate is much lower you’ve paid interest and now you aren’t going to pay any and that is fair.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.