We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Washing machine motherboard replacement within first year
I purchased a washing machine from John Lewis that developed a fault after 11 months and the motherboard and other parts were replaced.
It has always been a little temperamental but now after 2 years it has developed another fault.
John Lewis have acknowledged that it has not demonstrated reasonable durability and have offered a refund of 2/3rds of original price and to collect the washing machine.
I believe that the washing machine was faulty when it was delivered as having a motherboard replaced after less than a year is highly unusual.
Obviously I would prefer a full refund, am I entitled to a full refund or am I being unreasonable?
Thanks
Comments
-
In law they are entitled to make a déduction for the use you have had of the machine. A 2/3 refund puts the expected lifespan at six years.
So they have offered you a reasonable solution.
4 -
If it worked for 11 months then it wasn't faulty when delivered despite what you believe.
A control board failure may be a component issue or caused by a power surge that you didn't know about.
You have not said it has developed the same fault so proving a manufacturing defect is difficult.
I think their offer is correct and reasonable under your consumer rights and I'd be taking it.0 -
2/3 refund seems a perfectly reasonable offer to me, given you've had two years use out of it
Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the endQuidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur0 -
Snap their hand off before they change their mind!
1 -
Take the money.
To take it further you would need a independent report on the issue. Would mean no washing machine for a longer period.
Life in the slow lane0 -
The law allows them to reduce the settlement for "use" that you got from the item as its over 6 months old. The law doesnt stipulate how use is to be calculated.
JL, when I made a similar claim basically assume a straight line over 6 years calculated in months so yes by their methodology it would be approximately a 2/3 refund after circa 2 years. Unless you bought a budget model then 6 years is mean for a washing machine in my opinion but they appear to use the same duration for everything rather than varying it by product.
You could attempt to argue that they should pay more but havent heard of anyone successfully. I went the other route and added the spoiled food (ours was a freezer that failed) which conveniently brought it back to pretty much the retail price.
0 -
Thanks everyone, it wasn’t a budget one, based on everyone’s comments we have decided to accept the offer and move on
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

