We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

using AI for pension projections

Has anyone used an AI tool to validate their projection numbers?

I used chatgpt and found it very interesting and useful, especially how resilient my pot would be in a crash and adds another available tool for pension planning with the obvious caveats.

It's just my opinion and not advice.
«1345

Comments

  • SouthCoastBoy
    SouthCoastBoy Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Yes agree, don't take the responses at face value, however I found it useful to get another perspective. I'm sure over time it will improve, its definitely not going to be perfect from the start, however in 5 to 10 years time it could be a different story.

    It's just my opinion and not advice.
  • Aminatidi
    Aminatidi Posts: 670 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    I wouldn't use them to validate but I do use it as a set of numbers and augmentation of anything else I've done.

  • NormalNorman
    NormalNorman Posts: 211 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    I’ve used AI to construct graphs from my data. Don’t have the skills or interest in creating complex graphs myself. Also useful when comparing funds. I agree with the above, you really need a good set of prompts for your circumstances.

  • Dead_keen
    Dead_keen Posts: 476 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Yes. I used Claude to take my balance sheet, spending, state pension expectations, tax rules, expected life, failure rate and so on to create a number of scenarios with Monte Carlo. So, for example, I can ask it how much can I spend, post-tax, so that I have a 10% chance of failure by the time there is only a 10% chance of me or my partner surviving. It's very good and I get it to do other things (get bank, credit card data automatically and categorise it, show my gilt ladder, populate my 'what happens when I die' document, reminds me of my financial todos, view spending by categories, and sub-categories and so on by month, tell me my tax liability for the year, the potential IHT due, etc).

    It is quite sophisticated, unlikely to halucinate and so on. But whether the answer is any better that the 4% safe withdrawal guideline is a different question.

  • GenX0212
    GenX0212 Posts: 338 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    If you think AI models are good with complex numbers then try giving one a half completed Sudoko…..

  • SouthCoastBoy
    SouthCoastBoy Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I not sure about these safe withdrawal rates, as the past does not necessarily match the future, also there is the fx element to consider and also the fact that many uk investors invest in world stocks not just uk. I've gone for 2.5% withdrawal rate for first 9 years, then down to about 1% when my spouses state and db pensions kick in

    It's just my opinion and not advice.
  • Dead_keen
    Dead_keen Posts: 476 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I've gone for 2.5% withdrawal rate for first 9 years, then down to about 1% when my spouses state and db pensions kick in

    One thing that is interesting with Monte Carlo modelling is that you can see what the upside and downside might be. So you can guess at what you might be able to spend on so that you have a 10% run out of money by the time you have a 10% chance of being alive. But it will also illustrate how you might end up with £28 million (in today's money) instead. So spending too little means that you might end up being able to afford the whole graveyard, and still pay eight figures of IHT.

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,860 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I not sure about these safe withdrawal rates, as the past does not necessarily match the future

    That's why they're not generally referred to by professionals as safe withdrawal rates. You could be asking for a missale if you start using phrases like that.

    However, reliable UK data goes back to about 1915. So it's a pretty long period, and it would cover most scenarios. That said, the worst 10 year period for equities was March 1999 to Feb 2009 and we are currently in the worst period for bonds

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.