We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

RBS Online banking needs approval with mobile app every time.

2»

Comments

  • booneruk
    booneruk Posts: 968 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    Everyone's free to do as they please, but it does seem like you prefer less security which may present problems finding providers that implement it.

  • confederated
    confederated Posts: 159 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Not at all. I'd be happy with an authenticator app, or even a physical keylogger I just don't want to use the very thing I chose not to use (mobile app) to authenticate my web session. I actually feel stupid doing so and ask myself why did I even bother with the online banking version if I have to log on to the mobile app anyway.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,467 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Not sure a keylogger is what you mean. Are you referring to a card reader that accepts your bank card and gives out access codes?

  • confederated
    confederated Posts: 159 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Yes, they used to be issued by the likes of NatWest, Co-operative Bank and Nationwide, but some banks, like Triodos used a smaller keypad device which didn't require a card. I'm not sure what the general term for these devices is.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,467 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    I'm not sure what the general term for these devices is.

    Security doodads.

  • clairec666
    clairec666 Posts: 1,510 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Assuming here that the Natwest app/online is identical to RBS…

    My phone has been playing up of late, so I switched to an older smartphone for a few days, which couldn't run the Natwest app. Tried to log in to online banking and it kept asking for me to authenticate in the app (which I obviously couldn't) and there wasn't any other option like getting a code by SMS. After going round in circles with customer services for well over an hour, they told me I would need to get biometric approval removed.

    If you have access to the app, you can remove biometrics in the app. Or if you're in my situation, you have to phone them. Now when I log it sends me a secure code by SMS instead.

    But as others have said, this reduces your security. Once I get a decent phone again I'll switch back to biometrics, even though I run the risk of getting caught out again if I'm having phone trouble.

  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 7,119 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic
    edited 5 September at 8:29PM

    If Android, that must be a very old, old phone if running below Android 8.

    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 6,235 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    My NatWest and RBS online banking (and my wife’s NatWest) require app Face ID approval every time on Chrome and Edge on my laptop and on Safari on my iPad. I have tried logging in online with Face ID approval and logging out and in again but it still needs Face ID app approval.

    Clearly NatWest / RBS have changed something.

  • confederated
    confederated Posts: 159 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 8 September at 7:15AM

    Are you running any sort of anti tracking service like NextDNS? If so you need to whitelist some specific URLs or simply allow *.rbs.co.uk and/or *.natwest.co.uk.

    That wasn't my problem, I use NextDNS but had already taken care of the whitelist. My online banking service is now back to normal and I don't usually need to approve it using the mobile app.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.