We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

MacBook Air trade in help scam??

I need help knowing what to do next. I feel like I’ve been scammed and would like to know if there’s anything I can do. I’ve tried contacting Citizens advice but I’m struggling to get to speak to anyone who can give advice.

Back in May I arranged to trade in my Apple MacBook Air with a company called Boss Macs ltd it was on Gov UK everything seemed ok so I felt relatively safe, off it went I received a receipt to say they’d received it and would confirm condition and value at this point I should have seen the trouble ahead I received a report and value for a completely different inferior item. I obviously complained and then received an apology and new quote which I accepted since that date I’ve not received any funds or my item back.

What are my options at this point if any I feel a complete idiot at this point. I’ve tried multiple times to contact them which never happened for months I then received an apology 16th July saying they’d had a death in the family and it would be sorted ASAP but still nothing has happened I’ve since tried phoning and messaging but nothing.

I genuinely will appreciate any help or advice.

Comments

  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 16,894
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Send them a letter before action insisting on the return of your item or payment of the amount quoted within 14 days or you'll take them to small claims court for the amount quoted. Follow through with it if they don't respond or if they bring more excuses. Don't send it by recorded post, they might simply not accept it. Obtain proof of postage and legally it will deemed to have been received if you go to court and they try and claim they never received a letter.

  • mebu60
    mebu60 Posts: 2,001
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Bossmacs Reviews | Read Customer Service Reviews of bossmacs.co.uk

    You are not alone so no need to beat yourself up over it. A letter before action as set out by @Aylesbury_Duck above would be a good next step in the circumstances.

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,255
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    You say it was a trade in, rather than selling it to them, so did you get the product you were trading it in for or not?

    Did you pay by bank transfer or card for the item you bought?

    Ultimately it's a letter before action and then the county court. At the end of the year they had cash in the bank but also owed people monies so their net balance sheet is only £80 so may be slim pickings to get money back from them. On the plus side the address is residential and they have been verified by Companies house so at least stock may be there if it comes to it.

  • Homer_71
    Homer_71 Posts: 14
    Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Thanks for the quick replies, just to clear any confusion I was selling my MacBook Air to them for money only they quoted £760. I agreed to the trade in value then no transfer of funds I guess if something seems to good to be true it usually is.

    Again thanks for the replies I will follow the advice received

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.