We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Civil Enforcement Ltd – mediation failed / 2 alleged overstays – what would you do?

Hi everyone,

I have two separate claims from Civil Enforcement Ltd (CEL) relating to alleged overstays in a car park.

I was a genuine customer of the business/gym at the time. CEL are claiming approximately £220 for each claim (£440 total).

I've now been through mediation after following all 12 steps so far

The mediator seemed to think CEL had a strong case and mentioned that the parking machine was recorded as being working on the relevant days. I explained that I dispute liability.

My initial settlement position was £0, but during mediation I increased this to £20 per claim (£40 total) as a genuine attempt to settle. CEL are seeking £220 per claim.

I'm now wondering what experienced MSE parking experts would do if CEL reject the £20-per-claim offer and mediation fails.

My questions are:

  1. Has anyone here had a CEL claim where mediation failed and it subsequently went to a court hearing?
  2. Has anyone successfully defended a CEL claim involving an alleged overstay?
  3. If CEL reject £20 each and counter with something like £100 each, would you settle or continue to court?
  4. How seriously should I take the mediator's apparent view that CEL would probably win?
  5. If mediation fails, what should I concentrate on preparing for the court stage?

I'm not looking for someone to simply tell me to pay — I'd really appreciate advice from people who have actually dealt with CEL claims through to the court stage.

Thanks.

Comments

  • Car1980
    Car1980 Posts: 3,624 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I can't remember the last Civil Enforcement case that went to a hearing. They discontinue nowadays.

    Ignore the mediator. They are not legally trained and simply work on the basis that the defendant always owes the money and it's only about coming to a compromise number. It's more like a mafia sitdown and was only introduced to try and cut the workload for judges by reducing the number of hearings.

    Just stay on the path.

    What defence did you put in?

  • Thanks for your replay, i used the generic one that includes the chan case plus, they have offered 100 for each one now

  • So mediation ended with £85 offer for each one and them saying they have a really good case but i believe I have a really good case too as the machines were down ? frozen / not working and have evidence I was there, I rejected due to this.

  • Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 16,243 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Just keep following the steps and process

    They have to pay 2 hearing fees if its 2 separate claims with no consolidation, no payments equals no hearings

    What the mediator said or thought is irrelevant

    The fact that they came down below the original pcn charge shows that they were wobbling whilst sitting on the fence

    Are they in-house claims ? CEL only. ? Or are DCB Legal involved as middlemen. ?

  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 165,837 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 7 September at 11:48AM

    Who offered £85?!

    Hopefully not you because you'll pay nothing! They WILL discontinue you know.

    " I'd really appreciate advice from people who have actually dealt with CEL claims through to the court stage."

    Yep I have done thousands of cases on here AND I have beaten CEL in front of judges (every time) at actual hearings when they used to attend, but that was before Scott Wilson left them last year.

    Now they discontinue before hearings.

    "How seriously should I take the mediator's apparent view that CEL would probably win?"

    Complain to the Court Mediation service if he actually said that! It is laughable and highly misleading for a supposedly neutral Mediator to tell defendants that parking firms will likely win. Put in a complaint.

    He lied.

    Their claims are appallingly weak and they don't reach hearings, so that is untrue.

    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top or bottom of any page where it says:
    Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Hi, no they came down to £85 on both tickets and I said no, I am following the process to the letter haha, hopefully discontinue before court

  • Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 16,243 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 7 September at 11:42AM

    Not quite, its definitely going to court, your local civil court that you nominated in your N180 DQ document previously ( its a court claim, so the final destination is court , your local civil court. )

    The actual wording would be

    I am following the process to the letter haha, hopefully discontinue before the hearing fee is due to be paid

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.