We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

First Direct credit card *targetted* 5% cashback offer

The_Groat_Counter
The_Groat_Counter Posts: 746 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
edited 3 September at 11:25PM in Credit cards

Received an email from FD a day or so ago with the subject line "[Groat Counter], fancy 5% cashback?".

I almost dismissed this as I initially (and wrongly) assumed this would be retailer specific cashback offer - but it's not that.

It is however a targetted offer, plus it also requires a proactive opt-in by clicking/tapping on the link ('button') in the email.
("This offer is only for first direct customers invited to opt in and can't be transferred to any other person.")

At least for me, the offer runs for a calendar month from a date in early September to early October. The offer is, after meeting a £100 initial spend threshold, for 5% cashback up to a maximum value of £30. The cashback will then be awarded by the end of November.

Everything apart from "cash related payments" (e.g. forex) qualifies.

So a one month's spend of £700 (£100 'threshold' then 5% of £600) would result in the maximum £30 cashback.

I guess others could have differing offers?

The cynic in me wonders if it's because I have a (small) balance transfer amount sat on the card which is otherwise currently unused, and so the idea is to get me using the card and then either forget to or mess up paying it off (as I've minimum DD payment set up), and so get me paying interest.

Less cynically, I suppose the idea is to get those who aren't using their card to fish it out of the back of the drawer and into their wallet/purse, or load it up on to their mobile wallet and get them (back) in the habit of using it. That, and not to be tempted by looking elsewhere at the likes of the Lloyds Ultra CC with its one year of 1% cashback.

Comments

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,471 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Think you are probably right, targeted at those customers with a dormant/little-used credit card to get them back into the swing of flashing the plastic.

    Those numbers are a pretty good deal, especially the unqualified spend bit.

  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I rarely use my First Direct Gold Card and I've received the same offer. Earn 5% cashback, up to £30, after the first £100 on any qualifying spend between 5 September and 4 October.

    Unfortunately, I'm unlikely to spend enough within that month to make it worthwhile.

    I used to get similar offers each year on my rarely used HSBC credit card, but I haven't had anything from them this year, -possibly because I used that card in May.

  • What's a bit less good is the rather antiquated credit card platform used by First Direct, specifically the lack of any visibility of pending transactions - you can only see a CC transaction on the FD app (or online) when it has been posted (i.e. it has cleared).

    I had a M&S credit card in the past which was like this - it also ran on an HSBC back-end.

    I'm kinda curious if HSBC (main brand) credit cards are still like this?

    I imagine getting this updated must be up there towards the top of the list of commonly requested features in feedback from FD customers.

  • Rich1976
    Rich1976 Posts: 738 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I agree it is annoying. I hold FD credit card which is used mostly as a backup these days and it is a pity about the lack of investment into the credit card platform and lack of notifications in the same way that the debit card does.
    I would imagine it is common across the HSBC group and the FD branded cards have never been marketed particularly heavily so assume the customer base is pretty small and therefore a lack of incentive in spending money to upgrade the platform.

  • Another small grouse, which I noticed when I checked my app late last night (I think it was just after midnight) and I recall happening at least one other time beforehand, is that my FD credit card account just 'vanished' (from the app at least - I didn't check via the web) - it simply wasn't present on the list of accounts screen (headed "Balances").

    I wasn't worried and I'm sure it was nothing more than just a maintenance window for the credit card platform (early hours of Sunday being common for this), but it'd be good if there was at least be a message offered in the app stating as much.

    Alternatively, if FD do want to write off the relatively small sum I owe them I wouldn't complain…!

  • Rich1976
    Rich1976 Posts: 738 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    yes I’ve noticed this before, but don’t check on a daily basis but I think the credit card account vanishes from view whilst the systems updates all the balances and transactions. I’ve noticed previously it is around 10pm and then about half an hour later was back .

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.