We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

AVIVA

24

Comments

  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 10,453 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Approaching 55, at speed!!, I was planning on doing similar. Transfering my Aviva ex-works pension to a new one with them that supports drawdown.

    Likely investment within - HSBC Global

    Now I'm wondering who might be the better platform, for a ~£70k pot, with further funds to be transferred in at a later date.

    Easiest to navigate, initiate the transfer and set up CFLS plus monthly "taxable" DD

    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 3.24% of current retirement "pot" (as at end December 2025)
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 18,669 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!

    Taking monthly income from a SIPP could be a hassle. Although your provider may offer monthly payments it is probably your responsibility to ensure that there is sufficient cash in the account some time before each payment is due. I don't know of any platforms that automatically sell your investments.

    Better on my view is to take a cash lump sum once a year. This gives you much more flexibility in dealing with one-offs

  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 10,453 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    My DH has monthly drawdown, from investments, with Aviva. All happens automatically.

    These are crystallised funds.

    Do other platforms not allow this?

    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 3.24% of current retirement "pot" (as at end December 2025)
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,633 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    They allow it, but with some at least, it is your responsibility to make sure there is enough cash in the cash account to make the payment. If not either the payment fails, or they charge you for selling investments to cash. SIPPs generally are a bit more hands on than traditional personal pensions with Aviva, Standard Life etc.

    If you want to stick with Aviva, you need to check that it will be OK to transfer the pension internally. They have a sort of Hybrid model, where for a lot of actions they insist you take financial advice, but not for everything. I think they are more flexible with existing customers than new ones.

  • clairbear_3
    clairbear_3 Posts: 236 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper

    Great news I transferred the Aviva pension to AJBell SIPP took less than a week and we received £200 Amazon vouchers I quickly moved ALL the Cash to a money market fund Can anyone explain How I pay the monthly fees since there is NO cash in the SIPP dont suppose AJBell have something simple like monthly direct debit from bank account?

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,864 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    you need to make sure there is sufficient platform cash available to cover the platform charges. If you selected income units, then the income will replenish the cash. Most platforms will auto sell units to cover the charges.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,691 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Stupid question but if you are going to be drawing money from this pension aren't you going to need at least some of it in cash (not MMF)? Wouldn't you make sure that cash also covered the fees?

    There can be complicated ways platforms take their fees especially if you have more than one sort of account with them - eg ISA as well as SIPP - but I imagine AJBell have something explaining that. Perhaps this

    How do I pay my monthly charges? | AJ Bell

  • clairbear_3
    clairbear_3 Posts: 236 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper

    I can only take £2500 out this tax year (I just cashed in a small pension) so no rush I can add £2880(plus £720 tax relief) since not working

    as I thought AJBell dont make it simple Im supposed to open a dealing account(dont need one) or Can I just add a few£££ from my £2880 to cover fees?

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,633 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    That should solve the problem. After you have added the £2880, just leave say £100 as cash in the SIPP. ( then later the tax relief will arrive of course)

  • clairbear_3
    clairbear_3 Posts: 236 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper

    I selected the Royal London short term MMF not sure if it pays income as cash OR its reinvested?

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.