We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Gilt ladder - How to implement

2»

Comments

  • SVaz
    SVaz Posts: 904 Forumite
    500 Posts Third Anniversary
    edited 2 September at 6:16PM

    It’s a good time to buy Gilts, prices have dropped 5% the Gilts I bought in October last year (2034-37).

  • mrklaw
    mrklaw Posts: 414 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    i was getting very good costs for a gilt ladder vs a fixed term level annuity. And I can buy in advance when you can’t do that with an annuity.

  • norton66
    norton66 Posts: 40 Forumite
    10 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    I hold some gilts in my ii SIPP. It was straightforward to implement, they appear in the Bonds section of your SIPP account and coupons are paid into the cash holding.

  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I too have a SIPP with ii and I've built a gilt ladder in the ii SIPP. It's not difficult to keep separate.

    Notionally I've got 3 separate 'pockets' in my SIPP. About 50% is in accumulating equity trackers. I'm building approximately 5 years' worth of income into a gilt ladder from which I draw income, the balance is in income bond funds, MMF and REITs. (I actually include all investments and savings (SIPPs, ISAs, savings…) in the calculation for the proportion of equities, income funds and gilts.)

    To take income I use UFPLS withdrawals whenever a gilt matures. To start with I built the ladder using almost every gilt that was available, I soon realised that the admin to arrange so many UFPLSs was not practical, so now I build it with gilts that mature approx. 5 months apart. Each month I put the cash from income funds and the coupons from gilts into the gilt at the 'top' of the ladder. Once a year I will move an amount from the income funds into the gilt ladder to keep it at around 5 years, and transfer from the equity funds as they grow above a threshold limit. Thus far I have not needed the full amount from a maturing gilt so any cash left over after I make a withdrawal again goes to the top of the ladder.

    It sounds more complicated written down like this than it actually is to manage with a couple of spreadsheets. The annual rebalancing is easier with most of the money in the ii SIPP than it would be if I had to transfer between accounts.

    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.