We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Gilt ladder - How to implement

Just looking to see if a gilt ladder would be better than an annuity…….How would i implement a gilt ladder? I am a bit worried about the required admin.

I currently have an II SIPP. I would be using about 20% of the SIPP value. Should I just buy all the gilts required and hold it all in my SIPP, or is it possible to set up a seprate vehicle (which would keep the admin apart from my II SIPP)

Has anyone implemented a ladder? How easy was it?

Kind Regards Rich

«1

Comments

  • Chloe_G
    Chloe_G Posts: 438 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I asked AI and it wrote me a plan. I haven't implemented it yet as I need to check it's correct!

  • mrklaw
    mrklaw Posts: 414 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    as above - its quite intimidating but not too bad once you get into it.

    I did two - a 9 year ladder starting in 2029 as a baseline, and then went back and did the two more ‘rungs’ for the first two years to fill in waiting for a DB pension.

    lategenxer tool as mentioned. for simple level nominal you put in the amount you want, the start date in the future for the first ‘delivery’ of income, and how many years. If you also update the interest rate at the bottom with how much you earn on cash in your savings that can bring the cost down a little as the early coupons land as cash and will earn a little bit.

    it spits out a list of gilts on the right and how much you need to buy, and the total expected cost. it uses closing prices from the previous day so no live prices etc but its close enough. There is also a cashflow tab where you can see how the different amounts arrive and then when it tallies up to the amount you wanted - thats a helpful screen to visualise how it’ll all work.

    if you want a ‘simple’ increase you can use the advanced tab where you just put in a CSV file with each year as an entry in the CSV and an amount. so eg if you want 10k one year, then 10200, 10400 etc to ‘self inflate’ but still use nominal gilts rather than index linked.

    for setting up first check your provider sells gilts and you can buy them online. I opened an AJ Bell account for this as fidelity don’t offer them. it was super easy. the only slight complication (and you can use AI to double check) is sometimes the amount you buy is in units of 100 so the comma might be a bit out - but you can spot it when you see how much the platform says it’ll cost so just be careful for the first 1-2 and then after that its pretty quick. Think I was done in about 20 mins.

    the coupons pay out regularly and will land in your account as cash. if you’re getting a rung ‘mature’ every year I’m just going to leave the coupons as cash as it costs me money to put them into eg a MMF. Also for FAD which I’ll use to take the money out that needs cash anyway. So once the first rung fully matures in February 2029, I’ll crystallise 10k which will pay out 2.5k and move 7.5k to drawdown - where I’ll set up a 12 month regular FAD to pay out regularly. check your platform for how its FAD methods work or just use UFPLS - I wanted to spread it out for tax reasons and also trying to generate a ‘salary’ with other income.

  • JamTomorrow
    JamTomorrow Posts: 196 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Hadn't considered a GILT ladder until about a year ago and now I love my GILT ladder. It felt complicated at first but my knowledge built over time to the extent that i progressed from holding nominal GILTS for later years, to now holding linkers. I'm now looking to extend my linker GILTs out to state pension age in 2042! I love my GILTs. I would say take it one step at a time until you are comfortable, ask questions here and do your reasearch.

    Coincidentally, Ramin from pensioncraft released a video today that is very apt for you. I've only managed the first half of it so far but a very good intro :

    https://youtu.be/UjCXkDIoIiM?si=pjsz9QgfFilGS2lG

    The II platform worked well for me. For nominals you can purchase them directly online. For Linkers I had to place a phone order and listen to a crazy script from the dealer as they talked through my trades. One issue with Linkers at II is that the undervalue them once in your portfolio so need to be aware of that. I hope it will be corrected by the time I need to take my TFLS; if not they will do a manual valuation.

    Good luck.

  • Richmmm
    Richmmm Posts: 21 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary First Post

    Thanks for the comments.

    I am using https://lategenxer.streamlit.app/Gilt_Ladder to get all the figures from.

    My main issue really is to try and keep it in another box away from my SIPP - for my sake, not anything to do with taxes etc. I am not sure if this is possible at the moment.

    Tnx Rich

  • Lowtrawler
    Lowtrawler Posts: 291 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 2 September at 11:12AM

    If you are using SIPP funds to buy the gilts, they will need to be purchased in a SIPP. You could do a partial SIPP transfer to AJ Bell of sufficient funds to then purchase the ladder inside an AJ Bell SIPP. Be careful that you transfer enough for the 25% PCLS as well, if you aren't planning to generate the PCLS from a maturing gilt.

    As others have said, once you use the lategenxer tool to model what you want to buy and making the purchase, the only admin is periodically reinvesting the coupons.

  • mrklaw
    mrklaw Posts: 414 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    technically may not be necessary - coupons arrive as cash, as will the maturing gilts. so it should be fairly easy to keep it segregated and use for drawdown.

    but as you may need to change platform if your current one doesn’t offer gilts online, why not open a new SIPP for that? I did that with AJ Bell - was toying with transferring my equities acorss from fidelity but I may keep them separate as they’re doing different jobs.

  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,693 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    My main issue really is to try and keep it in another box away from my SIPP - for my sake, not anything to do with taxes etc. I am not sure if this is possible at the moment.

    Why exactly do you want the gilts in a separate box? Is it that you just want to see them listed on their own separate from your other SIPP investments? You could achieve that by doing as others have done and creating a separate Gilts only SIPP. That would seem to be a simple and obvious course but not if your issue is something else entirely.

    One thing with having separate SIPPs is that when you start drawing on them you may have two separate PAYEd sources of income which could give you some tax code issues (nothing serious just making sure the right tax code goes against the right income source) - all depends on how you go about drawing from the SIPPs. If it is one first and then the other it would be simpler at least until the cross over year.

    Or is it that you want to invest in Gilts outside a SIPP? That would involve taking money out of the SIPP which would have tax consequences (even assuming you are old enough to do it). Some people (me included) use some or all of their TFLS to set up a gilt ladder (or just buy one or two gilts to provide some money for known outgoings later in life - repaying a mortgage for example). You could use an ISA to buy the gilts but that assumes you have enough headroom to get the money into an ISA. If you buy the gilts in a GIA you will need to think about the tax aspect which may limit the pool of gilts in which you are fishing.

  • mrklaw
    mrklaw Posts: 414 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    oh the separate PAYE code is something I’d not considered. my slush fund is separeate. do the pension funds not check with HMRC before dealing with tax? so if I’d taken a regular FAD from the gilt ladder then pension funds 2 should get an up to date code already to use if I want to take a lump sum out?

  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,693 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    The tax codes come from HMRC. Only the first draw is handled on the "emergency" basis. After the first one you'd get a code for that pension - maybe 1257L or maybe some other number. But if you start drawing on pension 2 while also drawing on pension 1 you (or rather HMRC) may either have to split the code (eg 800L for one and 457L for the other - based on how much you are drawing from each one; ideally one code would entirely cover your draw but not leave any of the allowance unused) or you may find all 1257L gets set against pension 1 and pension 2 gets something like a BR code. There is a variety of approaches and you may get the one that bests suits you from the outset or you may not. Then you may be updating your personal tax account with figures to make sure the right code gets set against the right pension. You won't want 1257L set against a pension you are no longer drawing anything from or are only drawing £10k from.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.