We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Consolidating pensions

2

Comments

  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,693 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    "They are still called Scottish Widows. Both they and Halifax are part of Lloyds, and if you have the Halifax app it shows the SW pension fund total ,whether you want it to or not. However to look at details of your pension, such as alternative investment fund choices as suggested above, you will have to access SW directly."

    When I still had a SW pension and it appeared on my Halifax online accounts list there was a button you could click which took you straight to your Scottish Widows web page for the pension (you may have had to log in to SW to get there, I can't remember). Don't know about the app.

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,634 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    When I still had a SW pension and it appeared on my Halifax online accounts list there was a button you could click which took you straight to your Scottish Widows web page for the pension (you may have had to log in to SW to get there, I can't remember). Don't know about the app.

    I can not check my Halifax app anymore as I have been switched to the Lloyds app, with the Halifax brand disappearing. On the Lloyds app, you can click through for more details about the SW pension, but only if you have the SW app on your phone. I am not a great fan of carrying around details of large sums of money on my phone, so I do not have pension/investment apps on my phone. Just current accounts and credit cards apps.

  • Bandy2023
    Bandy2023 Posts: 122 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    I've downloaded the Scottish Widows app to get more info on the pension

    "You can't manage this on the app at the moment, please go to the website"

    I've gone to the website

    "You can't manage this online"

    What an utter PITA. 😫

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,634 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    The trouble with many larger providers is that :

    1. A proportion of existing pensions will be rather old, so have old IT associated with them, that is not compatible with the current website/app.
    2. Often they have bought or merged with other providers, so those pensions are running on legacy IT systems that are not compatible with the current SW website/app.

    For example I had a workplace pension run by Zurich. Their pensions business was bought by SW. I can still access it via the website - it is basically the same layout as the original Zurich one but with the names changed.

    However it is different from the main SW website, from where I can not access this pension.

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,860 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    For example I had a workplace pension run by Zurich. Their pensions business was bought by SW. I can still access it via the website - it is basically the same layout as the original Zurich one but with the names changed.

    That also describes mine. I can see the pension total balance (updated daily) in the Lloyds app, but to see any details etc. I need to log in to the SW (ex-Zurich) website.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,693 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I suppose it depends what they mean by "manage". My rather ancient SW pension needed calls and forms sent in the post to "manage" it - eg to change the investments around. Same when I took the annuity - calls and post.

    But you could still see a current value online and a breakdown of how it was invested. They also had a fund centre so you could read up on the alternative funds in which you could invest your pension (once you have narrowed the list down to those that are actually available to you). It is here in case it may become relevant

    Fund Prices, Charges & Updates | Scottish Widows

    For my similar vintage Aviva pensions it was much the same. The details available on MyAviva were pretty limited and don't think of trying to make any investment changes "online". That could just be because they dated back to the 80s and 90s.

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,634 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I guess a lot of people unfamiliar with how companies and IT systems operate, will just assume that a large company will just have one modern IT system and with every part of the company upgraded to it.

    Of course that is not the case, especially if there have been takeovers or mergers. Or there is too much cost involved to upgrade.

  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,693 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Amusingly today I got a text on my mobile from Scottish Widows saying "We are looking to improve our digital experience and would value your feedback." They then invite me to complete a survey about their app.

    I don't know how to break it to them that I have never knowingly used an app.

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,860 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,693 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.