We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries September 2026
If your beauty and toiletries are taking over your life, then this is the thread to help you work through the stash and motivate you to not buy anymore (hopefully!)
Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.
Thanks to me :-) for starting last month's thread!
Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: let's make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!)
Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are stashed in drawers, boxes, and cupboards!
We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010. Here's her original challenge post:
"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for Christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda, Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account. Anyone else?"
Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months (and some of us even years!!) and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.
Regulars can ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies:
Why not add the challenge to your signature as a reminder?
How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".
Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying. In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagantly to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!).
Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on eBay.
Unsuitable products can be repurposed and used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc).
Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt.
Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts).
Unsuitable items can be donated to charity or a local women's refuge as mentioned earlier
Also, why not reward your efforts by banking and recycling your use ups/throw aways with Boots scan2recycle points at participating Boots stores: Recycle at Boots - Get rewarded for recycling - Boots
Alternatively, simply drop them off at Maybelline Recycling points: www.maybelline.co.uk . Unfortunately, you won't be rewarded for the latter but the earth will thank you :-)
It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots, Body Shop, email newsletter, the supermarket toiletries aisles, Grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there will always be another deal! Honest!
Good luck all for this month and indeed the coming months, and remember to keep your stash lists updated, keep popping in for inspiration and support and to report your UU's and IN's, especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy!
Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly! Do de-lurk if you are lurking, this is one of the friendliest threads on MSE.
Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so don't be scared!!) oh - and did we mention that are nosy??!!
Useful abbreviations and jargon!
WBA - Will Buy Again
UU - Use Ups
IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning: lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!
NBI - A non-bought item such as a present, gift with purchase or free sample
WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies!
PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread. Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!
Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!
NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
LHJ- Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them
PRCP - Pink Rose Candle Philosophy inspired by Erma Bombeck who said: 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives. Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
GA - for an out that was given away to charity, as a present, or "just because" rather than binned or UU
TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage
PP - Project Pan: a list of specific items targeted to be used up
If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!
Comments
-
First UU of the month
The Light Moisturiser MZ Skin - wnba A nice moisturiser but didn't play well with other products and had a tendency to pill. Also ridiculously expensive (bought as part of a CH kit)
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without1 -
UU
- Mad About Skin- Protect & Hydrate Sunscreen- SPF 50, 100ml: my fave SPF. Had another in the stash already
- IUNIK Black Snail Restore Serum- travel size: Liked this, probably wouldn't buy again as it's in a serum bottle rather than a 'toner' size bottle, so it's not very economical. Got this as part of a mini set.
- Mad About Skin - Maximum Impact Moisturiser: Like this one, my evening moisturiser. Had a backup in the stash
- Soltan Once- SPF 50 spray: Fave SPF for body- a bit greasy but not having to keep reapplying is well worth it! Have a number of half empty bottles to keep us going for a bit!
- Mad About Skin - Multi-active Super Serum: One of my fave serums! I don't like to be without it really, but has been a spendy month already on non-toiletry-related purchases so will see- may replace it soon, or may try to wait till end of the month when I get paid again. One of my other serums from them is running out very soon too, so will see.
INs
- Maybelline Fit Me Matte & Poreless Oil Control Setting Powder - Translucent: replacement. Current one has a large pan
- Umberto Giannini Texture Boost Volumising Dry Texture Mist: Replacement- current one is feeling light.
- NYX Cosmetics Pro Fix Stick Colour Correcting Concealer - pink: replacement - current one v low
- L'Oreal Paris Lash Paradise Mascara Black Waterproof: replacement.
- Blink Contacts Soothing Eye Drops - 10ml: used up some eyedrops the other week, and I'm planning on wearing contacts to a wedding next weekend, so need eyedrops or my eyes will be like the desert!
And not sure whether to mention these as INs here, but I also got 2 x bottles of Cuticura Original Anti Bacterial Hand Gels as part of a little preparedness stash, in light of soon-to-be announcements from the UK gvmt about everyone needing a to be prepared for emergencies.
Jan Grocery Challenge 2023: £181.18/£400
OSWLC 2023 Q1: 0/101 -
UU -
Simple face wash, was from Mum's stash. I wasn't keen on it to be honest. Supposed to be unfragranced but seemed to have an odd scent to me.
Tub of shea butter from an ethnic shop. Prefer Body Shop.
Beut Co mini hand wipes. Cheapies from Home Bargains, must look for small travel packs that are biodegradable
Perfume Parlour YSL Paris dupe. LOVE this! but I have other perfumes to use up first.
Lacura Foot Cream - From Aldi I think, though haven't seen it again. Was good stuff and tamed my menopausal trotters.
CosRX - Aloe SPF 50. Was DD's who buys much more expensive skincare than I do, and still gets IDed at 30, sadly I spent most of my youth living abroad running around in direct sun without a thought of sun protection!. I liked this. When I run out of other spf skincare I will probably look at this again.
Does anyone else use the Boot's recycling Scheme?
Still in 2 minds if I can make it work for me without encouraging me to spend £10 unnecessarily everytime I recycle!
No buying unnecessary toiletries 2014. Epiphany on 4/4/14 - went into shop to buy 2 items, walked out with 17!1 -
I use the Boots Recycle Me scheme
I save up my empties and scan them into the app, then if (and only if) I am planning to buy something from Boots do I take them into the shop with me.
You only get the points voucher for 5 items deposited, but I sometimes deposit more if I need the space. You don't get any more points but at least I am recycling something if you see what I mean.
I am building up a nice stash of advantage points, which I also did last year and it paid for my hubby's aftershave that I got him at Christmas.
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without0 -
September is a quiet month for UUs for me.
I have a few items that might be done soon but nothing is spluttering so far.
But good news is no INs either, as I cancelled the 2 beauty box subscriptions I had.
But (there is always a but) there is a Caroline Hirons kit this month. I know I don't need it but…
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without1 -
1 UU I forgot about as I was away from home
The Matinee Cream Cleanser Jordan Samuel Skin - wba This luscious cleanser is one of my favorites and I will repurchase at some point, just not yet.
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without2 -
UU
- L'Oreal Paris Lash Paradise Mascara Black Waterproof: Can't be doing with this anymore, too dry and hard work now- moving on to my new one! My HG mascara <3
- Mad about Skin- Dual Action Dark Spot Serum: Excellent hyperpigmentation serum- I don’t really want to be without it, but I have a tranexamic acid serum in my stash so I will use that up first and then repurchase this
- L'Oreal Hydra Pure Shampoo: Nice shampoo, I repurchased it
IN
- L'Oreal Hydra Pure Shampoo
And I hit a pan in Terramoons single eyeshadow in shade Arctic Lime- bright chartreusey matte shade, love this colour!
Jan Grocery Challenge 2023: £181.18/£400
OSWLC 2023 Q1: 0/101 -
UU: Nivea 24 hour body moisturiser - Would purchase again if it was repackaged into a less annoying bottle. Couldn't get the pump lid off to use up the last bits. Replaced with Vaseline coco butter glow lotion and I am a convert.
UU: Elizabeth Arden 8 hour hand cream mini gift - not keen on this at all - left my hands dry
1 -
One more UU for September
B. Cleansing Balm Grapefruit Superdrug - wba love this version of the cleansing balm and will buy again when my stash of cleansers goes down. The only fragrance I didn't like was the original shea. The rosehip, chamomile and grapefruit versions are all lovely
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without1 -
A few UU's…
Grass & Co calm CBD balm - didn't like the smell or texture, but was good for the sensitive skin on my wrists that flares
Argan Ait Tamnat - Argan oil cream my dad brough back from Morocco - nice enough.
Garnier Dark Spot Corrector - I'm sure this passed it use by date, so I just used it on the back of my hands.
The Body Shop - Hemp rescuing hand protector - One of my HG especially in winter, will repurchase when I've used all my other hand creams.
Cien roll on deodorant 'pure freshness' - does the job usually, but I'm switched to the spray as I'm finding it doesn't stop me being menopausally sweaty! Not smelling, just perspiring!
Simple kind to hair shampoo from Mum's stash. - didn't like this, made my hair very straw-like, don't seem to be getting on with many Simple products just now!
Zing hydroxiapatite toothpaste
INNS
Lacura spray deodorant invisible
X 4 Zing toothpaste - subscription toothpaste
Quite a few makeup bits coming to an end - trying desperately to finish them up, as some of them the container is broken or they wouldn't travel well.
No buying unnecessary toiletries 2014. Epiphany on 4/4/14 - went into shop to buy 2 items, walked out with 17!2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
