We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Keep old AMEX open or close it down?

Malkytheheed
Malkytheheed Posts: 672 Forumite
Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
edited 1 September at 12:45PM in Credit cards

I just applied for and was accepted for an AMEX Gold card. I have an AMEX BA card which I have had since 2017. It's actually currently my oldest running card. But as I rarely fly BA / use Avios anymore, I have no need for it.

My question is should I keep the BA Amex open just for the tenure of the card. Or just close it off?

For additional context. The BA Amex card is my highest limit card (and as I said oldest card). I have 5 Credit Cards currently - including these two AMEX cards. None of my cards carry any debt.

Comments

  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    Are you likely to use the card again? If not, then you may as well close it - most lenders will close accounts anyway after a couple of years or so of non-use and zero balance.

    Whilst it's true that long-standing and well-managed lines of credit reflect positively on your credit history, that benefit dwindles over time if you never use them.

  • Malkytheheed
    Malkytheheed Posts: 672 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    Yeah, I dont mind sticking a coffee on it every month or so just to keep it active. IF it's "worth" doing so?

  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    The value of doing so is debatable. Yes, it'll be a positive tick on your credit history - but if you've got several other cards that you use regularly and always clear in full, the extra benefit of keeping this one is likely to be fairly minor.

  • Maegi
    Maegi Posts: 270 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    What are your plans for after the initial (free) year of the gold card

    i.e. Is there a chance you might not renew when the annual fee becomes due?

  • Maegi
    Maegi Posts: 270 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    The issuer may also reduce the limit to a low amount e.g. £500 due to lack of use.

    Not as 'valuable' as you think…

  • Marchitiello
    Marchitiello Posts: 1,327 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    i would personally keep it, as it is a free product and as you stated, you may not keep the gold card long term. The BA card may also have occasional specific offer that you may want to use.

    I have 3 Amex cards right now, oldest since early 2000’s, BAPP (used for 2 for 1 voucher in First and top up TP to keep status), The Platinum Charge Card (£400 dining credit, lounges, family travel insurance, hotel and car rental statuses, Fast Track access at certain airports in EU, cash-back offers, amongst the most used benefits) and another free card (legacy product), which i have virtually not used in almost 10 years but stays there and occasionally use promotions that are not on the other cards.

  • Tim_L
    Tim_L Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Go to chat and ask to close it. You often get a retention offer, and you can always open a new one later on if you need it.

    Having been a BA gold guest list member, it was trivially easy for me to get redemptions using the BAPP 241, that has now changed because of the changes to the BA club. I had a plat for a year last year but just canned it - it is possible to get value from the annual fee using the offers but I use Lloyds World Elite mostly for the travel benefits and lounge access. I'm on the fence about returning to Plat at some point, but now Amex free. I think the gold card for a year is a decent shout, but I'd probably go up to plat if I were paying a fee as the benefits are better for my profile with a lot of travel.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.