We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Curry’s Faulty TV

Hello,

Just writing this for some guidance or tips, as I currently in a consumer rights dispute with curry’s and want to make sure I get the correct thing as they’re making it all hard already.

We have 2 Samsung 75” TVs which have both now become faulty (one is completely black, the other one half is black). I contacted curry’s let them know to which they told us, we were out of warranty (by just over 2 years on the 18th August 2026). They sent us back and forwards, Samsung, different numbers was not helpful. I eventually told them my Consumer rights and I wanted to go through that type of claim. They mentioned that they have their own policy which is, I must get a third party accredited engineer report to prove we did not damage them. I have now done this (£80 down for the two of them). Curry’s said once reports are sent over to prove it is manufacture, and not user error they will send me next steps etc for collection.

Now I am going to send of the email for this, but I’ve seen so many things online. About that they may try offer us a different product, even if worth less due to us having wear out of it? I am just learning as I am going, and have learnt about the right to reject at the end, as at first they should offer a repair or replacement? This is all so new to me, so if anyone has any tips what so ever to make sure curry’s don’t try add anymore barriers that they have. Another thing is, once these TVs are sent off we will have no TV and I cannot find anywhere about timeframes etc. These TVs were bought through creation finance on 12 month buy now pay later (now paid off). I have seen something about section 75 too, but now sure would I do that if Curry’s aren’t compliant?

Sorry about the huge texts, and questions I’m just hoping to make sure I can do this properly with enough confidence.

Comments

  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 4,261
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    They haven't added barriers, they appear to be following the correct procedure.

    Hopefully they will make you an offer less an allowance for the number of years you have had the TVs.

    Exactly how old are the TVs as you say they are 2 years out of warranty?

    You cannot reject goods that are this old.

    Section 75 applies to credit CARD transactions.

    Unregulated BNPL agreements are a lot different.

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    They have the opportunity to repair or replace, and if the latter, your entitlement would be to receive similar three year old TVs rather than new for old - wait to see what they suggest after inspection and take it from there.

    In terms of timescales, the wording of the relevant CRA section is that they must "do so within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the consumer", so that's not particularly specific!

    If the financing was a regulated agreement then you may have the option to pursue Creation under section 75, but that just gives you the same rights against them as you have against Currys, so it's unlikely to be worth considering at this stage…

  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 23,482
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Curry’s have three options, replace, repair or refund. If it comes down to a refund, you won’t get the price you paid back as they will take into account the two years of use you have had from them.

  • Baldytyke88
    Baldytyke88 Posts: 1,167
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    "once these TVs are sent off we will have no TV".

    If the above is a concern and you didn't purchase an extended warranty, you may need to purchase new TVs.

    If the engineer's report says that they both have the same fault and it's a manufacturing fault, then Samsung may help you.

  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 16,894
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    You haven't got usable TVs now, so why are you worried about sending them away?

  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 2,678
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    The TVs are two years out of warranty so they'll be more than two years old.

  • 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 2,280
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Who is doing the repair?

    Did Samsung not offer a 5 year extended warranty?

  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 23,482
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Whoops! I miss read that as just out of a 2 year warrantee., so the OP has had at least 3 years use from them.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.